Screw cap wine bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephen1546

Regular.
Reaction score
Hello

I recently bought 30 bottles for 30 bucks along with corker etc. Dont want to spend another 30 quid on more bottles, i was wondering how long wine can keep using screw top bottles?

I have re-used the metal screw caps on wine bottles and they worked okay, but I noticed that the caps loosened over time, and could slip if over-tightened. The best answer is to use the Novatwist plastic screw caps.

I have re-used the metal screw caps on wine bottles and they worked okay, but I noticed that the caps loosened over time, and could slip if over-tightened. The best answer is to use the Novatwist plastic screw caps.
Thanks, may give that a go.

Cheers for the reply.

Might give them a go, at that price you would not mind if one or two didnt work.

Thanks for the reply

I had a two and a half year old bottle of wine in an old screw cap bottle the other night and it was fine. Just check the inside of the cap to make sure the rubber ring thingy isn't knacked.

I had a two and a half year old bottle of wine in an old screw cap bottle the other night and it was fine. Just check the inside of the cap to make sure the rubber ring thingy isn't knacked.
If the can last 2.5 years then they must be fine. Not sure i could leave that long tho!

I'm trying to keep my last sweet mead to see how much it improves with age...it's harder than it sounds!

I use traditional cork bottles which were £24 for 24 on eBay. I have 48, simply because I give my wine to family and don't always get them back. I also have swing top bottles which I use for WOWs, which are easier than corks.

I've had a few leaks re-using screwtops, due to malolactic fermentation, which can be prevented if the wine is sulphited before bottling. There is no risk if the bottles are stored upright. The main issue with re-using bottles is removing the original labels if you are fussy about appearance. On the other hand, putting in home made wine of the same variety as the original contents of the bottle can easily fool wine snobs, as I have proved on more than one occasion!

I've had a few leaks re-using screwtops, due to malolactic fermentation, which can be prevented if the wine is sulphited before bottling. There is no risk if the bottles are stored upright. The main issue with re-using bottles is removing the original labels if you are fussy about appearance. On the other hand, putting in home made wine of the same variety as the original contents of the bottle can easily fool wine snobs, as I have proved on more than one occasion!
Nice!!

I have loads of screw cap and standard wine bottles for free in your ever around Edenbridge Kent.

Latest posts

Back