Secondary fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheels

Reaction score
Advise needed.

Brewing a Brewferm (Ambiorix) and the instructions for the second fermentation is to syphon from the FV to a secondary FV then add the second amount of sugar. Once desolved transfer to your bottles.
Original amount of sugar was 1075gms
Secondary amount of sugar is 120gms.

Question 1/
Would i still needed to prime the bottles with 1/2 tsp of sugar ?

Question 2/
New to the brewing game and tried to be clever and made my own candi sugar. 1075gms for the first fermentation. Should i now make 120gms of candi sugar for the second fermentation or will it be OK with brewing sugar?

Thanks.
Wheels.

hi , this is just batch priming , you could mess about with half a tsp for each bottle or as you've mentioned batch prime by moving to a 2nd vessel and add sugar (boil about half a pint of water stir in sugar boil for 5 mins let cool add to 2nd vessel mix well ) which better , you wont want any other sugars as the more you add the more co2 will be producing risking bottle bombs or split kegs (if kegging reduce sugar amount approx80g) then keep bottle warm 20c ish for about 5 days then store cold for conditioning , hope this helps :thumb:

Back