secondary problems - can I recover?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gordon_g

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am in the secondary stage (4days in the barrel) with a Woodfordes Wherry. However , after moving it from a fv to the barrel, I was hasty in sealing the cap, and the O Ring seal slipped, so I have no CO2 in the barrel. Is this salvageable, or do I cut my losses and start afresh?

Also someone feel free to give me a kicking for having zero patience

many kind thanks to all

Cheers. G

Hi Gordon, what did you prime with? There is no reason why you can't re-prime, the will still be plenty of viable yeast. If using dextrose or some other sugar, just make sure you make a syrup and boil it for 10-15 mins to sterilise... Then allow to cool and add to the keg.

Is your pressure barrel one of the ones that takes CO2 cartridges? I use a King Keg top tap, I slather the seals with vaseline, then add a cartridge with the lid almost screwed on to purge some of the air, then close it when the gas is still escaping to check for any leaks... Haven't had a batch lose pressure yet with this method :thumb:

zombrewer said:
Hi Gordon, what did you prime with? There is no reason why you can't re-prime, the will still be plenty of viable yeast. If using dextrose or some other sugar, just make sure you make a syrup and boil it for 10-15 mins to sterilise... Then allow to cool and add to the keg.

Is your pressure barrel one of the ones that takes CO2 cartridges? I use a King Keg top tap, I slather the seals with vaseline, then add a cartridge with the lid almost screwed on to purge some of the air, then close it when the gas is still escaping to check for any leaks... Haven't had a batch lose pressure yet with this method :thumb:

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. I primed with normal sugar, didnt melt it. (should I use dextrose instead for future brews?), I use a HomeBrew keg, with a CO2 valve, with loads of vaseline. You reckon I add some extra sugar (syrup) to reprime? Thanks for the tips for checking leaks. Cheers

No problem... Don't melt the sugar, just add roughly the same amount of water as sugar to a pan... Heat gently until it is all dissolved, then boil it. As for table sugar vs dextrose, I've always primed with dextrose and had good results, so never tried changing it... I think table sugar is fine though, it may take a little longer as it's (I believe) a slightly more complex sugar... They also kick out a different amount of CO2 per gram, but Google is your friend for that one I'm afraid! I normally use 100g dextrose for 22ish litres of ale.

(edited for clarity)

Hi there,
The Standard is 5g/1L of cane sugar, its reckoned to be the cheapest for priming and its 100% fermentable. Other sugars can be used but you need to use more per litre as they are not all 100% fermentable.

See also John Palmers "How to Brew" page 111 Table 13. The online version does not have this table in it, it comes from the 3rd edition.

Morning chaps,

A big thank you to all. My batch of Wherry is well on its way in secondary. Just started my batch of Festival Pride of London Porter in the FV this morning on my day off. If I am not back on here ever again, you know my wife has killed me.

Cheers. G

Latest posts

Back