Sexism taken too far?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What next no scantily clad females on the tyre manufacturers calender's?

Took me a while to find one where the lady is not showing her thruppeny bits.

original.jpg

Where did you say you bought that from?

What a sad day that was. End of an era. Call me old fashioned but I do love the sight of female flesh. I'm sure a lot of women feel the same about men.:thumb:
(Reference Pirelli that is)

......they should get rid of all those ww2 bombers with dolly birds painted on them too....disgusting!
Predominantly I think boozing,beer and pubs is generally a gentleman's pursuit. Gentlemen like to look at ladies,preferably easy on the eye ones. Combining a bit of totty AND beer is a cunning spot of marketing...how could any discerning chap refuse to buy?
I think PC estblishments should arise where the po-faced bunch of miseries can all sit together and plan their funerals...

Its pretty retarded of the breweries to use such imagery given the number of potential customers it won't appeal to. Unless they think that Beer is a mans drink, which thus supports the accusation of sexism in the industry. Personally I find this dated branding as a good indication of a an average product, and easily avoided.

I take your point and I do vote with my wallet on this stuff, but if this sort of sexist branding is wrong in and of itself (and I happen to think it is) then it should be called out and stopped.

Anyone who thinks that objectification of the female form and its use to sell man focused products such as beer or car parts is in any way a reasonable way to go about doing business is still living in the land of Benny Hill and Barbara Windsor's ****. Meanwhile [most of] the rest of the civilised world has grown up and moved on.
I think you're wrong. The majority of men still like to see the female form, as do women like to see a fit guy. Some will deny it just to appear to be PC.

There's nothing wrong with enjoying looking at an attractive woman (or man, if that's your thing) - it's biologically near-impossible not to - but when you objectify that person or even the idea of them particularly to try to sell something then it becomes a problem and like it or not it's a problem that businesses are shying away from. The Pirelli calendars and page 3 models on displays of KP peanuts behind the bar are not coming back.

I think you're wrong. The majority of men still like to see the female form, as do women like to see a fit guy. Some will deny it just to appear to be PC.

Your premise is that beer should only be targeted at men, which is in itself sexist.

All sounds cobblers to me. Some folk take offence to draw attention to themselves I reckon. Who would be offended if sex toy manufacturers used images of beer to sell their wares? This is why society is f****d. All advertising is **** anyway... good stuff sells itself eventually.

The thing is like it or not sex sells..whether it's a bird or a bloke advertising or modelling stuff..you're not going to get Johnny Vegas advertising underpants and try as you may you won't find a big fatty on the larger size lingerie labels in m and s...it'll be the same one from the size 8 label...
I recall some TV while in work last night...they still had the dollies with the boxers...

What if beer sellers used sex toy images to sell beer....that would be highly amusing....a pint of rubber knob bitter please...

I've said this before here but I'll say it again: Sex is the lowest form of marketing. If you need a sexy woman to sell your product then you have a sh*t product which can't stand up on its own merit.

More to the point though, a litmus test to tell whether something is sexist or not is "would this work if there was a scantily clad man on the front?" and if the answer is no then it's probably sexist.

Them pirelli tyres must be proper ****....
Yeah I know. .but it is what it is....
Beckham sat in his trolleys...Armani underpants are pants. ...not so...they use the model and the image they want to promote their high end luxury product that the successful and better looking (or you will look like this) person uses....it's not a case of buy these things and look like Mr average fat loser. ....

I am surprised how much attention this thread has got when I see it as a non issue. But maybe censorship is making it one.

Them pirelli tyres must be proper ****....
Yeah I know. .but it is what it is....
Beckham sat in his trolleys...Armani underpants are pants. ...not so...they use the model and the image they want to promote their high end luxury product that the successful and better looking (or you will look like this) person uses....it's not a case of buy these things and look like Mr average fat loser. ....

You’ve illustrated it perfectly. Beckham in his pants is showing the intended consumer (men) what the pants look like and allowing them to believe it could happen to them, the clue is in the name: model.

So extend that logic to a pump clip where a woman is giving a man a blowie while he drinks a beer, or Stone Brewing making rape jokes on the Arrogant ******* twitter feed.

Anyone who thinks this is only about models is missing the point so far they aren’t in the same postcode.

This is a bit like a Brexit discussion, isn't it? Two implacably irreconcilable positions taken.

One is regressive, jaunty, populist, while simultaneously hideously complicated and ignorant of the ultimate human impact of the stance/policy.

The other is easily denigrated as libtard, soppy, easily offended, and happens to be right, fair and straight with people.

Whodda thunk it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back