Infection help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PokeHer

Reaction score
Hi,

Firstly, sorry if I've missed any vital info and sorry if this is in the wrong place, my first post here but I have read some fantastic articles so far.

I'm fairly new to brewing, I've brewed 5 successful batches of lager and real ale kits and they have tasted great! Unfortunately, my last 2 have been infected (at least I think they are infected).

My first 'infected' batch, I was perhaps a little sloppy with the steralising, I'm sure we all start out super clean then slowly slack each time until we get infected then increase it again (so we know just how clean we need to be)? So batch number 6 I've written off as being my fault, I should be more careful and steralise my equipment better.

Now, batch number 7, I was incredibly sterile, everything was sooooo clean it was rediculous (I spent about 3 hours cleaning my equipment). I was just about to bottle my beer from my lager kit when I noticed some tiny grey pieces of scum floating in my beer, I took a deep smell and whilst it doesn't smell off, it didn't smell like beer. I'll post up some pictures when I get home tonight of my so-called infection and perhaps someone could verify it for me?

My question is, why would batch No.7 be infected when I have been soooo careful!? Here are some factors that I think could potentially contribute:

I steralised everything, very well, but I did use a sponge to clean my equipment (the same sponge each time which appears to be in good condition).
The last two batches, I have vigourously stirred the wort before adding the yeast in order to introduce as much oxygen as possible.
Batch no.6, I laid the lid on top of my fermenting bin but didn't seal it.
Batch no.7, I tightly sealed the lid.
Both times I regulary lift off the lid to check the progress (take a gravity reading with sterile equipment of course).
Batch No.6, I rehydrated the yeast, batch No.7 I did not.

I'm not too sure what to do with batch No.7, I really don't want to spend the time steralising my bottles and bottling if I'm going to have to throw it again, I do have a keg, I'll probably use that. Unless someone can verify it's an infection and I'll just have to throw it now. It has tiny grey pieces of scum floating on the top, does not really smell of anything (although my sense of smell is not great, but my previous ones have smelt like beer at least!). It looks fairly similar to this...
IMGP3744.JPG

I am enjoying brewing and I am considering purchasing all grain equipment, but this has knocked my confidence back a little!

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.
Many Thanks

Have you tasted it? If ity tastes like beer then it will be beer, looks perhaps like yeast floating around. Have you checked with a hydrometer that it has finished, it still looks active to me or not cleared anyhow.

Hope that helps

Alistair

The big white swirly thing on the left is a bit odd though I assume that's the camera flash or summit is it?

Everything else looks normal to me. The tiny bits you have floating are just bits of yeast that haven't dropped out yet. If this is all you're concerned about, don't be.

seems ok , if its finished fermenting then remove from heat and keep in a cold place for a couple of days most of the **** will drop away to the bottom , but in future do not open lid once sealed for at least 7 days maybe more cuz this is how infections happen , and once you clean your kit with a sponge you then have to sterilize everything without cloths or sponges just sterilizer

Thanks guys, the pic is not my pic, just one I found online that it looks similar too, I'll post up my pic when I get home from work tonight.

The gravity is 1.009 and OG was 1.042 ~ 4.3%, the kits says approx 4.5%.

I did taste it 5 days ago and its was nice, I haven't tasted it since (it's been fermenting for 14 days now)

Thanks, I'll move it out to the garage for a couple days before transferring?

Ok, so I think I am just paranoid! I tasted it and took a gravity reading last night. It tastes lovely, it does smell great and the gravity is 1.008 so I'm ready to bottle it. The grey pieces of scum are the same size, so as someone said, they could just be yeast.

Thanks for your help all.

Back