Shelob's Sting

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEB

Landlord.
Reaction score
Managed to get a brewday in yesterday. I'm hoping this will be the final 'tweak'.

I'll report this a bit later as i'm just going out.

Er, yeh, um... I forgot all about this.

It was in my new Fermenting Chamber when it got a bit 'chilly' and the temps plummeted down to 12C. I've put a heater in now and keep a steady 18C night and day. I gave the SS a bit of a rousing when it came up to temp. At day 10-when i tested Gravity it was at 1030. It started at 1060. Next day it was 1022. Today it is 1020. I'm hoping to rack this off soon. :roll:

It's down to 1014 now :D I've sterilised a cornie and left it whilst eating dinner. Going to rack off now. I'll also be 'testing' the sample i used for gravity reading. :cool:

Looking back at my brew notes i seem to be obsessed with 50g of steep hops. That's not what this beer is about really? I must have been drunk. So although this is gonna be great it's not gonna be the final recipe for SS.

RECIPE 23L
6300g MO
300g Crystal
90g Choc

90 min mash at 68C
HOPS 90 mins
13g Green Bullet
16g Sticklebract
15 MIN
18g GB
30g Fuggles(pellets)

50g-GB steep for 20 mins at 80C

1 tsp Irish moss

1968 ESB yeast

I got an aroma of banana'a when i first gave FV a blast with the hose after racking? But tasting the 'sample' i didn't get banana's at all? Any idea what that's all about? Could it be my fourth generation ESB yeast? I'm using it till it does something different. People say it doesn't do well with growing on so i thought i'd grow it on to see what yeast is like when it's not doing well. Just so i know. What a scientist i am :rofl:

Fruity type flavours are usually associated with higher than normal fermentation temps, and/or/including, Belgium beer yeast strains.
I'm not familiar with the yeast, so I'm not sure if it has anyhting to do with the taste.

Latest posts

Back