Should I add tannin / tea?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBlindHarper

Reaction score
I've been reading and reading and can't get a definitive answer in regards to adding black tea to cider.
I'm about the move my cider in to secondary, where I ill be adding peach.
Should I add some tannins in the form of black tea?

Using black tea is simply an old fashioned way of adding tannin.

Without added tannin and malic acid i find cartons of supermarket apple juice produce a rather nice white wine
not however something i would recognise as "cider"

Using black tea is simply an old fashioned way of adding tannin.

Without added tannin and malic acid i find cartons of supermarket apple juice produce a rather nice white wine
not however something i would recognise as "cider"

I've used cloudy not-from-concentrate apple juice. Should I add some black tea in secondary do you think?

I add black tea to TC but not cider I make from apples. One cup of strong black tea per 4 litres. I've made TC without tea before and it's not as good, still drinkable and pleasant though. I've not added it to secondary before, can't think why this would be an issue though unless there are sugars in tea which are fermentable, in which case just leave it for another week.

With "real" cider I use a mix of apples, including crab apples, which adds depth to the flavour.

I add black tea to TC but not cider I make from apples. One cup of strong black tea per 4 litres. I've made TC without tea before and it's not as good, still drinkable and pleasant though. I've not added it to secondary before, can't think why this would be an issue though unless there are sugars in tea which are fermentable, in which case just leave it for another week.

With "real" cider I use a mix of apples, including crab apples, which adds depth to the flavour.
Not added to secondary before but as @jceg316 says I don't think it will hurt it.

Thanks guys, I'll give it a go then. How does it not add a tea taste to the brew?

Thanks guys, I'll give it a go then. How does it not add a tea taste to the brew?
I've made a fair number of TCs and I've never once asked this :laugh8:. I guess the tea flavour blends in really well with the apple flavours.

You can add the tannin at any time.
I use pure grape tannin powder in tiny amounts (from Youngs) rather than tea.

Back