Should we put a stop to homebrew?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To further pursue the beer craft I planned on visiting a HB shop tomorrow as it was "en route"...
I took the wise decision to phone ahead and enquire on available 25kg sacks of malt...as they're always handy to have...
I won't be bothering..."pale malt"....£65!!!!

To further pursue the beer craft I planned on visiting a HB shop tomorrow as it was "en route"...
I took the wise decision to phone ahead and enquire on available 25kg sacks of malt...as they're always handy to have...
I won't be bothering..."pale malt"....£65!!!!
Are you sure you didn't ask for "Artisan pale malt", now that'll cost ya

I remember one particular batch of lager done in a plastic dustbin with a lid, (Dustbin grade plastic, beige, not food grade). Lager was the drink of choice in those days for those who could afford the extra 2 or 3p a pint. I couldn't. It was alright. We drank the five gallons in less than a week by dipping our glasses (pints with handles nicked from the pub) straight into the barrel at various stages of fermentation

I have just spent the last half-hour laughing at the memories this brought back of sitting in the garage, hot-rod night with mates round, and the dustbin in the corner - spiders and all. Thanks for that! Still giggling.

I have just spent the last half-hour laughing at the memories this brought back of sitting in the garage, hot-rod night with mates round, and the dustbin in the corner - spiders and all. Thanks for that! Still giggling.
And, more importantly, you lived to tell the tale.
When I upgraded from the bin in the garage, I'd have the plastic fermenters in the kitchen where the kit was poured after being boiled with extra hops. Neighbour and I would sit playing cribbage until the early hours, dipping in and straining the hops between our teeth. Did you ever reach those dizzy heights?

Watch the on the buses episode where stan brews his own beer.
Gives a real insight to 1970s peoples thinking about homebrew(sorry i meant craft ales.)

Gives a real insight to 1970s peoples thinking about homebrew(sorry i meant craft ales.)
I just watched it. OMG I laughed so much. There's real info at the start, too, then it goes mental. When he pitches the yeast I was howling. He did not rehydrate.

There's a much better version on Dailymotion if you google the title. That youtube copy is slowed down, zoomed in and repeats the start.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link @Drunkula

I can’t believe that I am looking forward to watching On The Buses this weekend. If you told me a year ago that.... well I think I will skip that statement in the current environment!

I've found most people are really interested when I tell them I (try to) make my own beer. Maybe it's a cultural thing? Here in Spain quite a lot of people, especially in smaller villages, make their own wine and/or liquors so it doesn't really have that moonshine reputation that it has in the English speaking world.

Also the episode of Bottom where Eddie makes homebrew:

"Is that bitter or lager?"
"Hard to tell but it's taking the enamel off the bath."
"Careful near the homebrew, it's a bit volatile."
"Yes it has a certain robustness that demands attention, possibly medical."

I think @dad_of_jon was their homebrew consultant for that episode 😄

Also the episode of Bottom where Eddie makes homebrew:

"Is that bitter or lager?"
"Hard to tell but it's taking the enamel off the bath."
"Careful near the homebrew, it's a bit volatile."
"Yes it has a certain robustness that demands attention, possibly medical."

I think @dad_of_jon was their homebrew consultant for that episode 😄