Show us your Pushbikes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well here is my 'fleet'
1601403297961.png

This is the Saracen m/b. It is a Powertrek. Made in England Tange tubing. Handle bar riser fitted as age gets the better of me.
1601403845957.png

My road bike £400 new off the web, Airlite 300, carbon forks Ali tubing. The rack is a front rack nicked off the wifes tourer which she can no longer uses.
If I had a bike fit reckon the result would not be better than what this gives. The ride is a little severe and it does not get many outings now.

1601404282565.png

1601404552252.png

And finally Wester Ross built in about 82. Frame produced in Scotland, on the West Coast at Aultbea. 531 D/B tubing. British Blumell mudguards. Originally had GB dropbars and TA cylotourist chainset. Never used the drops so converted to straight bars with bar ends. - much better control on loose surfaces, the TA chainset used to flex too much so fitted a Stronglight . The racks are early Jim Blackburn ones. Campag budget peddles and its on its second Brooks saddle. I built the wheels, first ones ever and still running true- the rims are concave in profile Belgium made , (very strong but not very areo.) Was originally 5spd rear sprocket now 6 but looking to upgrade to 9 spd. The cable guides on the top tube rusted off hence the two metal bands. Note the neat pump fixing using one pump peg. I fitted a Sanyo roller dynamo which worked great until the bearing gave up the ghost - with LED lighting not needed now anyway.

Hope this all works ok got one finger typers cramp

Attachments

• 1601403801555.png
    1601403801555.png
    547.4 KB · Views: 107
  • 1601404329041.png
    1601404329041.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 107
  • 1601404431304.png
    1601404431304.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 106
3 bikes -Wester Ross touring bike @1882 Frame custom built- Saracen Protrak M.B @1993 approx and a Raliegh Airlite300 @2010 approx. All used and in good condition. WR used the most as the other half now has an electric bike as her joints are causing problems and its the most compatible to what she can now manage

any pictures? sounds interesting
Done!

Took the winter bike out earlier so I grabbed a photo. 72 miles in the saddle, think it's the most comfortable bike I own.
What a great day it was for it today, I did a 50 miler today after the same yesterday and had to do a bit of stretching to relieve the sore legs. Day off tomorrow as its going to rain and I have a brew to do.

Well here is my 'fleet'

This is the Saracen m/b. It is a Powertrek. Made in England Tange tubing. Handle bar riser fitted as age gets the better of me.

My road bike £400 new off the web, Airlite 300, carbon forks Ali tubing. The rack is a front rack nicked off the wifes tourer which she can no longer uses.
If I had a bike fit reckon the result would not be better than what this gives. The ride is a little severe and it does not get many outings now.

And finally Wester Ross built in about 82. Frame produced in Scotland, on the West Coast at Aultbea. 531 D/B tubing. British Blumell mudguards. Originally had GB dropbars and TA cylotourist chainset. Never used the drops so converted to straight bars with bar ends. - much better control on loose surfaces, the TA chainset used to flex too much so fitted a Stronglight . The racks are early Jim Blackburn ones. Campag budget peddles and its on its second Brooks saddle. I built the wheels, first ones ever and still running true- the rims are concave in profile Belgium made , (very strong but not very areo.) Was originally 5spd rear sprocket now 6 but looking to upgrade to 9 spd. The cable guides on the top tube rusted off hence the two metal bands. Note the neat pump fixing using one pump peg. I fitted a Sanyo roller dynamo which worked great until the bearing gave up the ghost - with LED lighting not needed now anyway.

Hope this all works ok got one finger typers cramp
and a bit of a classic fleet it is, I do love the old 80's fully rigid MTB's, I have a Diamaond back from the same era.
The Wester Ross looks like it has a bit of Pedigree, Brooks Saddle too by the look of it, I remember well the TA chainsets and had a couple of Stronglight myself on a Claud Butler 531

What cycling clothing do you guys wear on the colder autumn/winter day rides to keep warm? I went out the other morning and it was a tad nippy.

At the moment @Rigsby666 I'm still using summer gear plus arm and leg warmers so I can take them off if the sun comes out and it gets hot. I'll move to long bibs and long sleeve top when I find I'm never taking the warmers off, then into thermal bibs and tops when they aren't warm enough, then onto base layers plus thermals, lobster gloves, neck warmers, and so on as it gets progressively colder. I feel that if you wrap up enough, it's never too cold to ride.

What cycling clothing do you guys wear on the colder autumn/winter day rides to keep warm? I went out the other morning and it was a tad nippy.
At the moment I use leg warmers and a Roubaix type top or if cold/threat of wet then a Castelli Alpha Jacket, thin skull cap under the helmet and thin fingered gloves and I carry a very very thin gilet in case of puncture or mechanical and overshoes. As winter gets colder I put a warmer merino base layer under the Alpha Jacket and wear Castelli Sorpasso Bib tights, thicker gloves and also have Northwave Extreme winter boots. All expensive kit but I am glad I have it.

I tend to wait for a warm day! But I have a Rohan Pampas jacket@1977! 2 layer fine poly cotton with big pockets- very windproof, does not rustle, breathes better than any other top I own. On a cold day that goes on top of a fleece with fleece cycling trousers. I know its not wind efficient but its comfortable and trust worthy

Just wondering...don't you all sweat like a horse with all those layers on?
I understand layering, breathable fabric etc and practice such when out fishing and metal detecting...hardly energetic stuff...today I was out detecting...I had a thin micro fleece and breathable jacket and trousers and was still sweating and too hot really ..

If we are talking 'what brands' - my collection is made up of whatever *decent* rather than *posh* stuff I can scrat about and find in sales. I honestly don't care if it matches or not. I've got a lot of Polaris stuff, that I find really good, but the rest is a right mixed bag of Italian manufacturers, some of whom you don't hear about very often.

I won't buy brands for the sake of it...I've got a Regatta jacket in my favourite olive green I picked up from TKMAXX over 10 years ago for £29...it's their breathable "gortex" type fabric...I've reproofed it once with Nikwax...it's a bit battered but has never leaked.

IMG_20200927_123201823.jpg

2016 Giant Rapid 2, road bike frame but with flat bars as I only bought it for commuting, but over the lockdown I was doing 100-150 miles a week too avoid getting too fat. It's the first "proper" bike I've ever owned, no going back now!

Latest posts

Back