Sight glass

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

cnelsonplumber

Here is my take on a fairly easy to assemble sight glass which works a treat and is very strong and leak free.

IMG_0808.jpg

It consists of two 15mm tank connectors, two Screwfix brass Conex knuckle elbows and some 15mm clear tube.

Sorry about the poor photograph but I'm sure I can sort out some better ones, part numbers etc if anyone is interested.

cnelsonplumber said:
Here is my take on a fairly easy to assemble sight glass which works a treat and is very strong and leak free.

IMG_0808.jpg

It consists of two 15mm tank connectors, two Screwfix brass Conex knuckle elbows and some 15mm clear tube.

Sorry about the poor photograph but I'm sure I can sort out some better ones, part numbers etc if anyone is interested.
Part no's and assembly instructions would be great :thumb:
Where exactly did you get the tube from and is it sealed with compression olives or O rings?

I will look up the part numbers, take some better pictures then post on the " :cheers: :cheers: How to section"

I hope the "15mm clear tube" is polycarbonate and not something that is unsuitable like acrylic :wha: for safety sake, melting points and all that!

good job otherwise...next up adding graduations?

beermonsta said:
I hope the "15mm clear tube" is polycarbonate and not something that is unsuitable like acrylic :wha: for safety sake, melting points and all that!
Fear not! Polycarbonate according to the How To

evanvine said:
beermonsta said:
I hope the "15mm clear tube" is polycarbonate and not something that is unsuitable like acrylic
Sour grapes?? :eek:

no sour grapes here, I use polycarbonate on my sight tubes and as I said, for safety sake, hope other people who read this post will do so to, seeing as this is not mentioned in the OP. I am glad this is clear on the "how to" though.

Out of interest the sight tube method I use is even simpler and cheaper, 10mm polycarbonate tube (cheaper than 15mm), pneumatic fitting which is 10mm to 3/8"
images.jpeg
and a brass 3/8" "bush"
images-1.jpeg
which acts like a back nut.
It even means you need a smaller q-max cutter which is cheaper.

Not to detract from the original post though, because the more methods posted the better choice for everyone. So as I said, "good job" to cnelsonplumber :thumb: , but lets keep everyone informed and safe, hey Evanvine.

edit - I went to look for a picture of the sight glasses I added to my brewery a few years back, but instead I can only find a picture of a brewery I helped my mate Dom build recently with the same sight glasses I use to give you an idea of how they look...
IMG_20110418_191618.jpg

evanvine said:
beermonsta said:
but lets keep everyone informed and safe, hey Evanvine.
I retract the comment, but it did seem a bit stark at the time.
I personally find Vossy's silicon tube works very well.

Jim I could Kiss you, you just saved me 16 quid + delivery and a wait, & I can fit my sight glass to my HLT tommorow :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

UP

evanvine said:
unclepumble said:
Jim I could Kiss you, you just saved me 16 quid + delivery and a wait, & I can fit my sight glass to my HLT tommorow
Steady on Shane, I'm not BB! :shock:
I use Dunfie's idea with an upside down drum tap. :thumb:

I said a Kiss not a taste of my Big Black Pudding ;)

I have the tank connectors and the push fit elbows, and some 15mm copper left over, I also have a 10M Virgin length of Vossy's finest to go at, so a hash mash of the styles it will be.

I'll put some photos up later :thumb:

UP

unclepumble said:
evanvine said:
beermonsta said:
but lets keep everyone informed and safe, hey Evanvine.
I retract the comment, but it did seem a bit stark at the time.
I personally find Vossy's silicon tube works very well.

Jim I could Kiss you, you just saved me 16 quid + delivery and a wait, & I can fit my sight glass to my HLT tommorow :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

UP
Best send him over here for some" Tubby luviin" when you've finished with him Big pud :whistle:
2011-07-02133718.jpg

Works well
2011-07-02134031.jpg

Thanks all for the great ideas :D

tubby

please could you tell me what the material you have used for insulation is?

i found something similar in a local builders merchants but is was very expensive and appeared to be bubble wrap with a layer of silver foil on the outside.

as i was thinking of insulating my copper i didn't think it was suitable or economic. it would have been ok for my HLT apart from the price.

TT

Variety is the spice of life :cheers:

I like the look of the temperature gauge on your mashtun UP, do you mind if I ask where you got that from? :pray: :pray:

Think I might change my avatar to a picture of a magpie :lol:

Back