Significant over attenuation!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From time to time, I've toyed with the idea of buying a microscope to see what's going on in my beer. The reason I haven't is that I don't really know what I would need. A notch up from my old Fisher-Price, I should imagine. Any thoughts on this would be welcome.

I might have missed this, but what does it taste like. Taste can tell you a huge amount.
Yes, 3 weeks in and it's pretty poor. There is no sourness or tartness at all but also no hop aroma or taste other than the bitterness. 100g of centennial went into this as well. Overall, its just murky and dank tasting. There is a bit of hot alcohol/fusel in there, but I would expect that after only 3 weeks and 7.6% abv.

I have bottled beer with this problem in the past and they don't over carbonate or explode so I agree we can probably rule out diastaticus.

If it's already super attenuated in the FV, then bottling isn't much of a problem. And not really a reliable indication that isn't diastaticus.

Which wheat beer yeast do you use?

WB-06 for example is diastatic.

Last edited:
From time to time, I've toyed with the idea of buying a microscope to see what's going on in my beer. The reason I haven't is that I don't really know what I would need. A notch up from my old Fisher-Price, I should imagine. Any thoughts on this would be welcome.

Lab quality. Illuminated. 400x. Is what I used on my enology studies.

You could do with a grid slide too (can't remember what they are called). This will enable you to count cells.

Do you control your fermenting temperatures?
Yes, I have a brew fridge in the shed but its not very good. This brew was very active at 24 hours after pitching and the fridge struggled to keep it below 22C (I had 19C dialled in). I threw in some ice packs to help.

1-200x Cell Counting
4-600x Viability Testing
6-1000x Identifying cell morphology and seeing bacteria cells.

I've been pondering this purchase for years, too. I'd be wanting the higher magnification for my mix fermentations, getting put of by the cost versus benefit.

Yes, I have a brew fridge in the shed but its not very good. This brew was very active at 24 hours after pitching and the fridge struggled to keep it below 22C (I had 19C dialled in). I threw in some ice packs to help.
Yeah that seems a bit high, not sure if that is the problem but could definitely cause the fusels.

Latest posts

Back