Sparge temperature.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Crook

Reaction score
Hi all,

Tell me this. If I have mashed for the required time at the correct temperature then i ought to have invoked the correct enzyme(s) to turn the starch into the best sugars.

Given that the sparge is really just ensuring a thorough rinsing of residual sugars out of the mash, why is it important that the sparge water be at the mash temp? I'm done converting starch to sugar so what harm would i do sparging with boiling water as the boil is the next thing I'm going to be doing?

Many thanks
Joe

A lift from internet
Sparging at excessively high temperatures can also result in astringency in the finished beer. Sparging at a moderately temperature has some benefits as it improves the flow of wort through the grain bed. The recommended temperature for sparging is 170 F (77c)

Thanks for that. So, NOT boiling water... but it sounds like sticking firmly to 66 or 77 degrees is less crucial?

Yes it is better to sparge too cool rather than too hot. I mash out @ 78c and then sparge with water between the mash and mash out temp.
You can sparge with cold water if you want it just takes longer to get to a boil

I believe that by sparging at a slightly higher temperature than mash temperature you loosen the mash making it easier to wash the sugars from the grain. Never managed to do it myself as I sparge at mash temperature but I must try harder.

I also sparge with room temperature, simply as I do not have a sparge water heater (and use an all in one). Does take me slightly longer to get to a boil, but I'll take tht over having to get sparge water heater.

The other edge of the sparge-water sword is pH. The general concern is rinsing polyphenols from the mash. That happens more effectively when the sparge water temp goes above 172 F and the pH is above 6.0. I usually adjust my sparge water to about 5.7 or 5.8 pH.

Back