Simple AG#4 - BIAB with Peco. The learning curve !

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvt_ak

Budding Brewer !
Reaction score
Went back to basics today and tried a simple 10l brew using MO and Citra. Is this technically a Smash ?

Stuck a bit of campden in the water as #3 for some odd reason had a bit of home brew twang. Which #1 and #2 didn't.

Peco boiler sure makes mashing and boiling a lot easier than stove top !!

Used the false bottom this time which kept stuff off the element.

Also used hop bags and tried pellets this time as opposed to actual hops - dealing with pellets again much easier !!

Went really smoothly - 15l starting point ending in 10l for fermentation - topped up a little before adding yeast to bring the OG down a little.

Overnight she's developed a nice krausen so I figure the yeast is working its magic.

I packed more hops at 55 mins and intend to dry hop as want a hoppy kick in this one.

All little steps but figure I need to do this to understand the subtle differences Hops and Grain make , so I'm sure this will sound incredibly dull and boring to the resident experts.

I've been worried about capacity of the PECO but learned I can deffo go beyond a 15l mash and boil.

Anyone got advice or experience of using the PECO ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went back to basics today and tried a simple 10l brew using MO and Citra. Is this technically a Smash ?

Stuck a bit of campden in the water as #3 for some odd reason had a bit of home brew twang. Which #1 and #2 didn't.

Also used hop bags and tried pellets this time as opposed to actual hops - dealing with pellets again much easier !!

Went really smoothly - 15l starting point ending in 10l for fermentation - topped up a little before adding yeast to bring the OG down a little.

Overnight she's developed a nice krausen so I figure the yeast is working its magic.

I packed more hops at 55 mins and intend to dry hop as want a hoppy kick in this one.

All little steps but figure I need to do this to understand the subtle differences Hops and Grain make , so I'm sure this will sound incredibly dull and boring to the resident experts.

I've been worried about capacity of the PECO but learned I can deffo go beyond a 15l mash and boil.

I've used the Peco for 3 full length brews (23Ltrs) so far using instructions from The Homebrew Company website.
http://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk/guide-to-brewing-8-brew-in-a-bag-biab-c-58_239.html
Works really well for me. You do need a 10-15Ltr pot for your sparge water though.
My favourite was the most simple, Maris otter with Simcoe & Citra hops.
That's the one I'm definitely brewing again. They've all been lovely brews though and the Peco's been great.:thumb:

I've used the Peco for 3 full length brews (23Ltrs) so far using instructions from The Homebrew Company website.
http://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk/guide-to-brewing-8-brew-in-a-bag-biab-c-58_239.html
Works really well for me. You do need a 10-15Ltr pot for your sparge water though.
My favourite was the most simple, Maris otter with Simcoe & Citra hops.
That's the one I'm definitely brewing again. They've all been lovely brews though and the Peco's been great.:thumb:

That's good to know - wasn't sure if it could handle a 23l.
May just step up for #5.

With 10l you could do a true full volume BIAB in the peco (you may have done that already)

What yeast did you use? us05 or MJ44 I find the best dry yeast for hop punches It can make a big difference

With 10l you could do a true full volume BIAB in the peco (you may have done that already)

What yeast did you use? us05 or MJ44 I find the best dry yeast for hop punches It can make a big difference

Cheers Cov. I did attempt a true BIAB I think in that I didn't sparge etc and went in with 15l at the start. Like a dumb ass I used a BIAB calc afterwards and it said 16.4l needed which is probably why I had to add 1L at the end to get OG and volume sorted.

I just used the Wilko Gervin Ale Yeast.

BIAB is nice and simple but I do want to get volume up.

I use a Peco and a home built version as part of my 3 vessel set up and have happily boiled 29 litres post sparge, it's always worth keeping a close eye when approaching boil and when doing hop addtions, but I have found that the 2.4KW element doesn't produce that vigorous a boil so not had an issue so far..

I have changed the taps on mine but you have to be a bit careful as the plastic does get a bit flexible when hot, I also had the False bottom, GEB version, and found it effected the boil when used so don't any more, first using a basic copper pipe hop filter and now bazooka filters.

All good so far, just need to do a few more brews on the kit to really dial it in.

Cheers Cov. I did attempt a true BIAB I think in that I didn't sparge etc and went in with 15l at the start. Like a dumb ass I used a BIAB calc afterwards and it said 16.4l needed which is probably why I had to add 1L at the end to get OG and volume sorted.

I just used the Wilko Gervin Ale Yeast.

BIAB is nice and simple but I do want to get volume up.

Wilko Gervin yeast is fine decent reliable yeastbut if you want a hoppy punch maybe give 05 or MJ44 a go..

Wilko gervin / nottingham mutes the hops a little.

Back