Simple All Grain Pale Ale Recipe Advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldlager

Reaction score
Hey,

I fancy putting together an all grain pale ale, only problem i've got a few restrictions.

- Ideally i'd like to use up the fuggles and goldings I have in the freezer (got about 50-100g of each)
- I have some Safale S-04 real ale yeast slumbering in a jar in the fridge - ideally i'd like to re-use this.
- Can only ferment at room temp 18-21oC
- Grain - No restrictions, can order some from THBC :)
- Max ABV 5'ish %
- My mash efficiency is pretty rubbish, between 55 & 65. Working on improving this but any suggestions must take average 60% efficiency into account.
- Max IBU 30-40 (sometimes the really strong IBU beers are too much for me - i'd die of thirst in the USA lol)
- I really like Punk IPA even though the IBU is higher than I normally go for.
- I really like a caramel flavour, i know this is hard to achieve in a pale beer, any suggestions in adding caramel flavour without too much SRM?
- I like hoppy aroma but also maltiness

This is a pretty simple recipe I googled, maybe I could tweak this a little to suit my needs? Maybe something like this kinda merged with Punk IPA style but with less of the complicated hopping (The punk ipa clones ive seen have 7 or 8 hop additions, bit too much for me)

Basic English Pale Ale (English EPA)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.051 (°P): 12.6
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol (ABV): 5.01 %
Colour (SRM): 12.1 (EBC): 23.8
Bitterness (IBU): 37.8 (Average)

78.26% Maris Otter Malt
17.39% Victory
4.35% Crystal 40

0.4 oz/Gal Fuggles (4.5% Alpha) @ 55 Minutes (Boil)
0.2 oz/Gal Styrian Golding (5.4% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with WLP002 - English Ale

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

The key thing is, I want to keep it simple and produce a refreshing hoppy aromatic malty pale with medium-ish bitterness and a twang of caramel.

Cheers

sounds good , i would reduce the victory malt to around 10% and i would increase the crystal to around 10% , sounds a good brew , good luck with it .

sounds good , i would reduce the victory malt to around 10% and i would increase the crystal to around 10% , sounds a good brew , good luck with it . p.s whats your mashing process , what temp , what do you use to mash in etc , 50% is very low , we should be able to get that to around 65%/70% , do you sparge etc

Awesome, thanks for your input. BIAB, gunna try a different bag this time as the mesh is too fine on my current one :)

Id be happy with 65-70% :)

I might add some biscuit malt as not used that beforw. Will use so4 yeast as opposed to the WL stuff.

victory is biscuit malt ( i think) and your yeast is a good 1 but i always like liquid yeast better ,yeah after you have done your water and grains you should then shower the grains with more water to get the last sugar out :thumb:

Cool thanks :) Mine will be liquid as i'll grab some from a batch which is currently fermenting but will be bottles weds/thurs :)

I will grab some grain from THBC tonight but before I commit to a recipe I have a few commercial pale ales to get through, see if anything takes my fancy :)

Cocker hoop down, bit watery, badger champion, master brew and a st peters. I'm even tempted to go for something more like spitfire, I find that really hoppy and aromatic, yum!

artyb said:
good luck with it let us know how it goes... :thumb:

take a couple of piccys.... :tongue:

I'm thinking of making more of an IPA but with low bitterness. Tempted to add some elderflower too for freshness, weirdly I like elderflower in ale :)

Revised recipe. It's less of an EPA and heading towards an IPA now i suppose, meh.

Hoppy English Pale Ale (English EPA)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.060 (°P): 14.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014 (°P): 3.6
Alcohol (ABV): 5.98 %
Colour (SRM): 8.8 (EBC): 17.3
Bitterness (IBU): 31.2 (Average)

92.31% Maris Otter Malt
3.85% Crystal 30
3.08% Tate & Lyle Golden Syrup
0.77% Crystal 80

1.8 g/L East Kent Golding (4.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
1.1 g/L East Kent Golding (4.7% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
2.2 g/L Fuggles (5.7% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

3.3 g/L Dried Elderflowers @ 15 mins (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with Safeale S-04

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

I want a noticeable hop and elderflower aroma. With such a small batch size (1G), I am not entirely sure how much in weight of late hops and elder to add tbh. Only one way to find out ;p I won;t be brewing until Friday, so have time to tweak and or review any advice re: +hop & elderflower aroma :)

Latest posts

Back