sloe gin

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oakwell

Reaction score
hi all

wondered if anyone could get me some decent measurements please to make my 3 litres of slow gin.

I am going to buy 3 1L bottles of gin and need to make sure i get the berry amount and sugar amount ok.

thanks

The recipe I used last year was,

800g Sloes
300g Sugar
1Litre Gin

Tasted it this year & it is rather nice :whistle:

Check the forum, there will be other recipes :thumb:

Cussword said:
The recipe I used last year was,

800g Sloes
300g Sugar
1Litre Gin

Tasted it this year & it is rather nice :whistle:

Check the forum, there will be other recipes :thumb:

do you need to de-stone the sloes first? or use them hole?

A bit rough and ready, but we 1/3 fill a demijohn with punctured sloes or damsons, add a 1 kilo bag of sugar, and fill the rest with cheap gin.

I'd suggest stoning the fruit as the gloop left-over after you've drained-off the wanted juice, is just to die-for as a sauce on ice cream. Try freezing it in yoghurt pots, or similar.

battwave said:
A bit rough and ready, but we 1/3 fill a demijohn with punctured sloes or damsons, add a 1 kilo bag of sugar, and fill the rest with cheap gin.

I'd suggest stoning the fruit as the gloop left-over after you've drained-off the wanted juice, is just to die-for as a sauce on ice cream. Try freezing it in yoghurt pots, or similar.

thanks for the tip :D

got my eye on some tree's in a top secret location... :D

just depends on how much cheapy gin i can get :D

hi, I use a litre of gin empty the contents out. 1/4 fill the bottle with sloes and 1/4 with sugar. Top up with your gin and leave for about 8 weeks. Drain and add the rest of the gin to it.
I didnt stone the sloes, Just pricked with a fork.
I also did some with brandy and it was much much nicer mmmm

the wife made a brilliant batch. Much as above. Secret is, shhh, put the bottle in the back of the car, on the floor. Swirls them round. Its gorgeovs, comrade! (hic).

micmacmoc said:
the mott (wife) made a brilliant batch. Much as above. Secret is, shhh, put the bottle in the back of the car, on the floor. Swirls them round. Its gorgeovs, comrade! (hic).

i shall try it with 1 or 2 :thumb:

I read somewhere that sloe whiskey is good (they did say better than sloe gin). As I have a few bottles of cheap blended, I'll give it a go this year (as well as some sloe gin). Probably follow the same recipe as for sloe gin and then spend a night comparing the two :cheers:

i will post how i made mine tonight when home from work it was verrry nice did not last long lol :cheers:

1lb of sloes
125g sugar
1 70cl tesco cheap gin
i think :cheers:

Simon2822 said:
I read somewhere that sloe whiskey is good (they did say better than sloe gin). As I have a few bottles of cheap blended, I'll give it a go this year (as well as some sloe gin). Probably follow the same recipe as for sloe gin and then spend a night comparing the two :cheers:

Now if you're talking Blackberry Whiskey - woooh!

Use same recipe as my previous posting. Bottled in small bottles (375ml or so) made very popular Christmas presents, and the ice-cream sauce was really for the refined pallet :thumb:

Has anyone done anything similar with elderberries?

We do various combos of blackberry/raspberry/sloe rum/vodka/gin every year.
Did plum rum last year, which was quite fun.
We don't make them too sweet, as we like to drink them with cream soda as a mixer.
I saw a recipe somewhere once for MarsBar vodka, IIRC.

Latest posts

Back