Small batch (1 gal) brewing setup ideas

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wrongway

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am starting to think about trying to put together an all grain 1 gallon setup for testing ideas and for the times I want to experiment without a full 23L batch in the Grainfather. I have a large stainless stockpot that holds up to about 15L and comes to a boil from cold with 7L of water in about 25 mins. It's the mashing side of things I am trying to get ideas. I have seen some round 2 gallon water coolers something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GRSQ48Q/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 which seem popular for this kind of thing. That would give a semi BIAB approach. Otherwise I was thinking on the lines of a large 7.5L slow cooker with an Inkbird controller holding it at mash temperatures. I don't think chilling would be too difficult with small 1 gal brews. Any suggestions appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
The secret of successful experimentation is to start with a known status and then make and measure any changes slowly and methodically.

In view of this:

1. I would think it would be very difficult to repeat effectively the mashing of small quantities of grain.

2. Most beer brewing experiments seem to revolve around the addition and boiling times of the various hops so why not start by mashing a single wort and then experiment with the various hop varieties and conditions in one gallon batches?

3. When the result of the first set of one gallon batches have been ascertained:

a) The wort can be changed for the next set of one gallon batches but the hop varieties and conditions can stay the same.

OR

b) The hop varieties and conditions can be changed for another set of one gallon batches for the same wort.

Hope this helps.

Thank's Dutto. I think I was aware that repeatability with small quantities might be an issue. I am really looking for better ideas on developing a suitable setup for it. I am torn between a cool box of some kind or a temperature controlled slow cooker. I am sure there are a few other methods too.

Cheers for that Jas. There are a lot of great ideas in that post and sounds more or less the method I am hoping to attempt. I thought a 5L test batch would be easy to do in a short time and fill a mini keg.

It takes the same time for 5L as it does for 20L. If I had to do it over again I'd have plumped straight for this kit and mash in this (there is a UK site equivalent but I can't find it). I was given a boiler but the rest of the equipment spent would have come to that price anyway.

I understand your needs for smaller but if you ever want to go bigger then you're future proofed.

It takes the same time for 5L as it does for 20L. If I had to do it over again I'd have plumped straight for this kit and mash in this (there is a UK site equivalent but I can't find it). I was given a boiler but the rest of the equipment spent would have come to that price anyway.

I understand your needs for smaller but if you ever want to go bigger then you're future proofed.

That's a nice kit. I already have a Grainfather so well setup for the 23L brews. The GF is not very good at small batches so I was just experimenting, mainly with what I already have around to do 1 Gal test runs. I suppose I am a bit worried I try something 5 gal and dont like it much I am stuck with 5 gallons of it.

I suppose I am a bit worried I try something 5 gal and dont like it much I am stuck with 5 gallons of it.

If you do make something you are not keen on get yourself some bottle packaging and send it all to all the members in the bottle swap threads. :wink: :lol:

Latest posts

Back