Sodastream keg system

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have a 3/8th line from the keg to the tap very little pressure will do it, increasing the length of the beer "out" line will also help cut down on foaming.

Snoot, my lesson as a noob to the sodastream method of gassing was to undo the canister without relieving the pressure in the regulator. You will never see another nylon washer explode so spectacularly! Since then, I've learned to use a spanner and gloves to turn the canister VERY slowly until you feel resistance, then as soon as gas starts to flow tighten VERY quickly. I'm using a vasolined thick black rubber washer between the adaptor and cylinder which seems to work well. Im generally pleased with this setup as it allows my to keep two cornies and the gas in my beer fridge without needing to hack out holes in it.

The black washer sounds like a good idea, the provided o ring doesn't leave much leeway on the pin length.

What pressure are you serving at?

I see people say they serve at 5-10 psi, but if it's less than 1 bar (14.5 psi) that's less than atmospheric pressure and wouldn't force anything out?

The problem i've noticed with those adaptors is that they use a rubber gasket, nylon/plastic would provide a more durable seal, and is used on normal regulators.

I see people say they serve at 5-10 psi, but if it's less than 1 bar (14.5 psi) that's less than atmospheric pressure and wouldn't force anything out?

Aha, Absolute vs Gauge pressure.

A pressure gauge measures a differential in pressure, in this case it compares the difference between the keg pressure, and the local atmospheric pressure. Meaning 5-10psi on the guage, is equivalent to 19.5-24.5 psi absolute pressure.

Latest posts

Back