CO2 Tank Empty Can I add sugar to keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
I just filled my corny keg with an american pale ale and went to add my co2 but tank was empty.
Will it be OK to leave overnight?
Can I batch prime in morning?
If so would I just add the sugar solution and give a good shake.
How.long would this then take before being ready to serve?

You can prime a cornie just like a bottle - you don't need to shake it, the yeast will find the sugar. I naturally prime all my kegs, they take about a week to 10 days to carbon up, plus clearing time. However, I do initially use a CO2 tank to flush the head space with CO2 and also to ensure the cornie lid is sealed, but this is a tiny amount of gas compared to force carbing amd may be unnecessary.

Can I ask the amount you would use for a corny full of stout? And unfortunately I cannot purge any headspace as my tank totally empty...Will this ba a problem?
Ty

excuse my ignorance in this matter but this is the first time my CO2 tank has been empty. I will be contacting the gas company over the weekend but until then I will have to wait. I obviously don't want to lose my beer.
Marshbrewer you say you naturally prime all your kegs...can I ask the amount of sugar you add to your keg. Earlier I mistakenly said it was Stout. I actually bottled my Stout and kegged my American Pale Ale. According to Brewers Friend Priming Calculator this style would need between 2.2 / 2.7oz of table sugar per 19l batch. I dont like over carbed ales so would 2oz/85g be about right? Just mixed in some pre boiled water and poured in. Once it has carbed how much of the keg are you usually able to pour before needing to top up with CO2?.

Depending on you preferred level of carbonation, between 65-85g per cornie. The great thing about cornies is if it turns out too carbed, you can release pressure. I put it in a clean mug, with boiling water, the ping it for a min or so to bring it back to the boulder and kill any nasties. This is then poured straight in the keg (usually as I'm transferring the beer from the fv bit you could do it after). Once it's carbed up you can get a few pints out under it's own steam, but I then hitch it up to the gas with a secondary regulator set at serving pressure and bobs your uncle.

I have got I to the habit of let it condition for a few weeks before I do this as I think it improves most ales.

Ty for advice I am going to do this later with 80/85g. So do then recommend 2 or 3 weeks before trying....?
Ty for your help .....thank you also mashbag for your input much appreciated.

k...i used 85g of table sugar in boiled water solution on sat.........so how often from now would u advise to release gas?

It will likely take a few days for any CO2 to build up. I'd just pull the PRV every four days or so. If the temperature is higher than during fermentation, then some CO2 will leave solution as well.

ok i will do that every 4 days...when i do do u mean just release some of it with a couple of pulls or all of it everytime?

Either way is going to be fine. There won't be much pressure buildup in four days. A small hiss is all I'd expect each time you release it. The idea is just to get any residual oxygen out of the headspace as it carbonates.

Keep in mind: it takes quite a while for beer to become oxidized. I doubt you have much to worry about anyway. I don't even do closed transfers (just rack to a keg and purge the headspace) and have never had any negative effects of oxidation before the beer was gone. So, don't worry too much about it!

Back