Sodium metabisulfite for water treatment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm relatively new to brewing, I brew in Sheffield which has chlorine in the water (took couple of brews to work out it's the water and not me) I now use sodium metabisulphate, I purchased it online thinking it would come in tablet form now stuck with 100g powdered form.
I just measure 1 gram and add to 20L of water which works, and I'm not dead so you'll be fine just adding a pinch. I'm sure someone will ridicule me for doing it that way but there we go.
Metabisulphite a reducing agent Cl to Cl-
Na2S2O5 + 2HOCl + H2O = 2NaHSO4 + 2HCl
Sodium thiosulphate Na2S2O3 can also be used.

I do more than just add sodium metabisulphate now I've created a calculator for treating water, I'd maybe suggest doing it if starting out.
I would add the calculator to the forum but I see they already have a calculator in place and how to do it is above my IT knowledge, mines a bit more in depth but easier than Brewers Friend (in my opinion)

I do more than just add sodium metabisulphate now I've created a calculator for treating water, I'd maybe suggest doing it if starting out.
I would add the calculator to the forum but I see they already have a calculator in place and how to do it is above my IT knowledge, mines a bit more in depth but easier than Brewers Friend (in my opinion)
metabisulphite

Back