Solar Panels on New Build Estates

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevieboy

Landlord.
Reaction score
Does anyone know why it isn't Government policy to put Solar Panels on all new builds? Surely for a new estate you could set up localised collection and distribution etc ? Just a thought...

All new build homes today are required to include energy saving measures such as Solar PV, in order to be self-sufficient and pass SAP calculations.

A SAP calculation is a score from 1 to 100+ which indicates the annual energy cost and environmental performance of a property based on a number of factors. This includes the structure, heating system, lighting, and low carbon technologies. SAP Ratings have been required for all new homes under Part L of the building regulations since 1995, however as new builds are required to be more self-sufficient, a “pass” now must be achieved. Requiring a minimum of 10% of consumed electricity on site to be self generated. However this figure can vary council to council.

SAP calculations are also used to produce Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) Ratings. An EPC rating provides information about a property’s energy use and typical energy costs. It is against the law to rent or sell a property without an EPC rating, so it is essential for all new builds to pass the SAP rating. Adding Solar panels is an easy way to pass these new measures, with only a few panels required to meet regulations.

THE FUTURE OF NEW BUILDS

This change in legal requirements is just one of many changes coming to future living here in the UK. With gas boilers being banned in new builds from 2025, and all new properties also requiring to support EV charging, the UK are tackling climate change straight on.
Adding Solar panels to new build properties in our completely biased opinion is a must! Solar energy is simply the future. So if you are a building developer, contractor or architect looking to install solar panels for your new build projects, get in touch to talk to our expert team. As MCS Accredited Installers, our green team can give you the expertise required to implement solar panels at the most cost-effective price. As a solar panel installation company we have completed thousands of installation throughout not only Essex, but the entire UK. What’s more, now is the perfect time to install solar panels on new builds as there is 0% VAT on all solar installations.

https://www.deegesolar.co.uk/solar_...new build homes today,on a number of factors.

Last edited:
I don't know why they don't run fibre internet to all new housing estates as well.
Solar on the roof should be mandatory in this day and age

Solar on the roof should be mandatory in this day and age
It looks like it is going to be.
(from post #2)

THE FUTURE OF NEW BUILDS

This change in legal requirements is just one of many changes coming to future living here in the UK. With gas boilers being banned in new builds from 2025, and all new properties also requiring to support EV charging, the UK are tackling climate change straight on.
Adding Solar panels to new build properties in our completely biased opinion is a must! Solar energy is simply the future. So if you are a building developer, contractor or architect looking to install solar panels for your new build projects, get in touch to talk to our expert team. As MCS Accredited Installers, our green team can give you the expertise required to implement solar panels at the most cost-effective price. As a solar panel installation company we have completed thousands of installation throughout not only Essex, but the entire UK. What’s more, now is the perfect time to install solar panels on new builds as there is 0% VAT on all solar installations.

Agreed ..at the moment it seems to be optional extra on some of the new estates near me..should be just built into the price and mandatory. The bulk purchase and fitting as a part of the build must be more cost effective 🤷🏽

I also think it should be mandatory on all office blocks and factories. I'm sure it's a little more completed than I imagine, but they tend to use a lot of energy, and the roofs are completely unused

How do people make the numbers work for solar, it's a lot of money to install, you get to use less than half the leccy generated and have to sell excess to the local power company who sell it back to you 6 hours later for 5x the price they paid you. Batteries are expensive and full of nasty polluting chemicals and don't last that long. i dont have a car of any sort my bike runs on leg power.

How do people make the numbers work for solar, it's a lot of money to install, you get to use less than half the leccy generated and have to sell excess to the local power company who sell it back to you 6 hours later for 5x the price they paid you. Batteries are expensive and full of nasty polluting chemicals and don't last that long. i dont have a car of any sort my bike runs on leg power.
Electricity from the grid isn't going to get any cheaper, I would say it is more economical to install solar. Batteries can be provided to serve the community at a cost, investors or electricity providers can purchase the battery and charge a fee for the use of the battery.

1667981799033.png

Someone mentioned running fibre to all new builds. Why not insist that all new builds have utilities conduit to the front door for gas, water, electricity, fibre or whatever comes along in the future. No more need to dig up pavements if a whole estate is connected.

Round here fibre broadband is fitted to new builds but we also have Virgin fibre installed to the property boundary under the pavement on most of the estates by me so if you choose Virgin they open the little hatch and connect you directly to it.

I am personally pro-solar - I do have a decent setup/battery myself. But I do wonder what is going to be the next challenge in 2040/2050 where we have all these solar panels that were mandated to be installed on properties from 2025 onwards, heading to the skip as either they have failed or really inefficient that people need to replace them.

Also, lets face it, different people will have different standards to maintaining their homes/solar and I'm sure come 2050/2060, I'm sure there will be a percentage of homes that had solar installed that haven't had them maintained and are next to useless.

I've not read the detail in full, but I do wonder if there is a case for a service charge to be applied to ensure they are maintained and kept in working order. Or at least special extensions to house insurance to deal with solar energy. I don't have the answers, but can see problems in our rush to greener energy

I am personally pro-solar - I do have a decent setup/battery myself. But I do wonder what is going to be the next challenge in 2040/2050 where we have all these solar panels that were mandated to be installed on properties from 2025 onwards, heading to the skip as either they have failed or really inefficient that people need to replace them.
Whilst bad, I don't see how this would be any different to existing boilers/radiatiors/TVs/washing machines that were installed 25 years ago but are being replaced today.

I don't have solar, would love it - my mate works from home mainly and his solar install was £5k, and will pay back in 10 years was the original plan. With increase in electricity cost it looks like will be about 5 years to break even.

As he is at home he can run the washer and drier during the day, plus charge their car, plus the immersion heater is set to come on when their is free electric so saves the gas boiler heating the water too. Maths will be different for everyone, but a quote I had recently also had a 10 year break even point - but I don't have the cash spare to get the panels.

But slowly becoming a no brainer if can be worked into the cost of a new house, I might look into it again when we remortgage (though don't get we started on that!)

My understanding (which is not doubt poor!) is that even 20yo panels today are outputting around 60% of their original rating. The choice people will have is to get the extra 40 boost (or higher if they become even more efficient in the future) - the old panels don't have to be scrapped and no doubt could find a use on industrial estates or brown field sites, or be sent to other countries with more sun where is would still be economical to 'give up' some of your value roof space to an older panel if the price was right.

Back