solar pump

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danb

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've just hit buy on a solar pump, to setup recirculating the hlt so I don't need to climb up and sstir.
I will be adding a elbow at the top of the hlt for the return and connecting onto the hlt tap for incoming flow.

Are the pumps as simple as open the tap and turn on power or do I need to prime somehow?
When finished recirculating I needto ddisconnect off the tap, do I turn the tap off and the pump will empty the hose back into hlt?
Or wwill it all flow back out the hose when I disconnect?
Thanks

just make sure the pump is below your liquid line and it will prime naturally
you must prime the pump [dont run dry] this is the easy solution
turning your tap on should prime it
then pump away

[youtube:3bouj5gi]bmguHD0ZlrU[/youtube:3bouj5gi]

you might have to turn your tap off to stop it back flowing when turned off

When I disconnect off the tap then the hose will still be full and will leak back out. I'll try and arrange it so it doesn't make too much mess.

I am going to mount the pump under the hlt, a small piece of hose to connect on the tap then a hose to an elbow in the top of the hlt.

Lol cheers mate will have a play when it arrives. Does the pump recirculate good enough to mix AMS into the water without stirring?

danb said:
Lol cheers mate will have a play when it arrives. Does the pump recirculate good enough to mix AMS into the water without stirring?

practice your set up with water then you should know

not done herms yet have the kettle pump etc but no pid

using solar at moment just for wort to boiler transfer

The pump arrived this morning, wow it's tiny! Going later on to collect some more nice stainless fittings and silicone hose to pipe it up.

danb said:
The pump arrived this morning, wow it's tiny! Going later on to collect some more nice stainless fittings and silicone hose to pipe it up.
great stuff
PS what you using for your power supply?
:thumb:

I've got a tattoo power supply but think I'll save that for a stir plate.
Got a few 12v 1amp supplies as I never throw them away. So ill probably get a little box, DC socket and potentiometer.

danb said:
I've got a tattoo power supply but think I'll save that for a stir plate.
Got a few 12v 1amp supplies as I never throw them away. So ill probably get a little box, DC socket and potentiometer.

yes the tattoo power supply gives good control i have the same :thumb:

[youtube:2luzcv4j]8CEGQiBNEXE[/youtube:2luzcv4j]

Here's mine in action, I use a 12v dimmer switch to control the flow. Works a treat :thumb:

Decided I'm going to use the tattoo supply and mount into the brewstand. Not sure on banana plugs though are they 4 or 5mm?

Brother is a tattooist so I just got the supply off him.

And another great service from Paul at angel homebrew. All bits for pump sorted.

Now thinking of not using the tattoo psu. Is it a potentiometer I need and how do I figure the rating I need? Or a link to a suitable one at maplins would nbe great. Thanks

Power supply is sorted! Just need to mount the pump and PSU into the brewstand and drill the hlt tomorrow. :thumb:

Managed to test today and to be honest I'm not impressed! At full whack it hardly moves 30l in the hlt. Its working by getting an even temp but I don't think there's enough movement to mix in the AMS properly.
Not sure if it will mix by just recirculating alone. I added a piece of hose inside to see if that helped but it hasn't really!

Latest posts

Back