Some mash/brewhouse efficiency questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceejay

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm trying to gauge where I'm at in terms of efficiency, mainly to understand the concept and science a bit more, which should help me in future brews.

My last (first) brew turned out like this:

Volume of wort pre-boil 26 litres @ 1052 = 1352 degrees
Volume of wort post boil 19 litres @ 1060 = 1140 degrees

Recipe was this:

4200g maris otter pale malt
308 g crystal
308g choc
308g oats
190g roasted barley

Which i make to be a theoretical extraction of roughly 1540 degrees , using the figures in GW's book.

This means a mash efficiency of 87.8% and a brewhouse efficiency of 73.8%

I know I lost a couple/few litres when I was trying to figure out a new boiler, so I'm not unhappy with that result. Thing is, do these figures look right? I fly sparged and took my time over it - probably a good 50-60 minutes to sparge to 26 litres. Also, is it normal to expect that large an increase in OG from pre to post boil?

Well given the fact that you took 7L out of the boiler while the sugar content stayed the same . . . then yes the OG will increase during the boil. After all 7 Litres is nearly 25%!

Otherwise your efficiency figures look pretty much spot on. You can afford to sparge a bit faster (down to say 45 minutes) without losing too much. slightly better wort recovery from the boiler will improve your overall efficiency.

Aleman said:
Well given the fact that you took 7L out of the boiler while the sugar content stayed the same . . . then yes the OG will increase during the boil. After all 7 Litres is nearly 25%!

Thanks AM, that's what I thought. In terms of OG pre-boil then it's worth remembering that it should a percentage higher that post boil OG, commensurate with boil off %.

I don't think anything I've read really makes that very clear, IMO. It's a very simple concept but I think most of the books etc only express efficiency in terms of "overall efficiency", including boil off, loss to hops, deadspace etc.

Back