Sparging on Klarstein (Ace, Hopcat, Brewdevil, etc)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannythemanny

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently purchased a Klarstein Brauheld Pro, which is one of the all in one systems that arm to go under so many different brand names.

I'm really enjoying everything about the system apart from one thing, which is the correct sparging procedure.

I've been home-brewing for about twelve years or so, and prior to getting hold of this system, I would batch sparge. This is the first time I've tried fly sparging. I'm aware that many people opt not to sparge at all with these systems, but I'd like to rinse some extra points out of the grains where possible.

The issue I've got is that the sparge plate sits way up high over my typical grain bill (about 4 - 4.5kg), and as a result, the sparge water runs through the mash in seconds. I saw somewhere someone else had this problem with the Grain father, and they were recommended to press the sparge plate down on top of the grain bed before beginning the sparge. I guess this helps squeeze the grain up a little and slows the sparge water as it makes its way through. Due to the length of the pipe, this doesn't seem possible with the Klarstein, though. I wondered if anyone had experienced this and how they might have remedied it.

Best,

Dan

People have recommended buying a second pipe and cutting it in half for smaller brews...

Yes, I think I'll have to try this. Apparently they don't sell them separately, though, so I'll have to try and make something.

Two things you can do, if you want to keep the overflow pipe, extend it with a piece of silicone and use the bazooka on the top.
004.JPG

Or get rid of it all together, it isn't there to be used.
001.JPG

I've not had any joy as those ones linked to above aren't in stock. I'm not too bothered about it as I'm getting around 70% efficiency anyway. I think for smaller grain bills, I probably just won't bother sparging. With a fine enough crush, I think I should be able to get away with no sorry plate and use silicone hose laid on top of the grain bed keeping two inches water above it. I buy my grain milled, but might try running it through my Corona mill to grind it finer and see if that slows the sparge.

Foxy, what did you use to stop up the over flow to stop grain getting out of the malt pipe?

It'll fall straight through the bottom of the grain basket if you mill it too fine, then get sucked into the pipework... Just to give you a heads up. The holes in the Brauheld Pro are massive! If you are going to go that way, you may want to remove the overflow and fit a Lidl frying pan spatter guard in the bottom maybe....

I mill bigger and don't sparge, and just use a bit more grain.

The problem with the pipework is the stupid rest for the sparge plate, means you can't slight it up and down the overflow pipe. I do remember there used to be a mod around for the old Klarsteins/ACE brewers that used a fully telescopic pipe and custom fittings.

Incidentally, just did some Googling, and it looks like Brewdevils/Gutens etc usually completely different overflow and removable bottom plate etc. Klarstein Brauheld Pro is nothing like that. Bottom plate is part of the basket, overflow pipe is in 2 parts and screws into a fitting attached to the bottom plate. Sparge plate then rests on a round flat thing at the top of the overflow. It's the same design used in the Bulldog Master Brewer, rather than the Guten, I believe.

IMG_20200706_183222.jpgIMG_20200819_154318.jpg

Last edited:
I have a brewzilla and don’t bother with the central overflow pipe.

I use rice hulls to ensure a good flow and bung the hole in the bottom plate with a 1/4” BSP nut.

I've not had any joy as those ones linked to above aren't in stock. I'm not too bothered about it as I'm getting around 70% efficiency anyway. I think for smaller grain bills, I probably just won't bother sparging. With a fine enough crush, I think I should be able to get away with no sorry plate and use silicone hose laid on top of the grain bed keeping two inches water above it. I buy my grain milled, but might try running it through my Corona mill to grind it finer and see if that slows the sparge.

Foxy, what did you use to stop up the over flow to stop grain getting out of the malt pipe?
Look cobber, the way I see it is to think outside the square. Top plate, why is it there? The grain bed is a filter. Overflow pipe, we all know why it's there, its there to avoid using it, let the re circulation wash through the grain bed. The overflow, for good reason for new users, is a fail safe mechanism to not let the dead space drain. Once the user is accustomed to the workings of the SVB then shed the unnecessary ironmongery. Block off the hole for the overflow pipe with a 1/2 inch BSP plug and nut. This will allow one to stir the wort, when one stirs the wort it will become noticeable that as the mash process continues the conversion of the starch makes for easier stirring. And on the plus side the efficiency will go up. I do go for full volume mash, no sparge, so efficiency is lower, but the stirring takes it back up a few more notches, and the grain bill is slightly higher.
003.JPG

To spread out the liquid from the return pipe over a wider area, reducing the impact from it by spreading it out over a larger surface area, so it's drips or trickles, vs a squirt. Same as every other sparging device on the market. In fact, I tried using my Klarstein without it in, all that happened was it stirred up the grain bed (even with the recirc valve turned down), leading to wort that wouldn't clear. Maybe it works in the Gutens, but it didn't work in a Brauheld Pro when I tried it. I even tried extensive vorlaufing with a jug (which to me defeats the object of a pumped system, and it still wouldn't clear without that top plate in.

Latest posts

Back