Special w

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Morning good people, i have some special w never used it before, the ? is what does it bring to beer cheers
"Very similar to Special B. Weyermann Special W has dark-brown, slightly aromatic kernels. It contributes a dark-amber to deep-coppery colour to finished beer. Adds mouth feel as well as a rich malt accent to brew. Very intense, complex, mild, caramel flavour; bread crust. It is recommended to use for up to 5% of your total grain bill for pale beers, up to 15% for dark beers. Often used for Porter, Stout, Schwarzbier, and Barley Wine beer styles."

"Very similar to Special B. Weyermann Special W has dark-brown, slightly aromatic kernels. It contributes a dark-amber to deep-coppery colour to finished beer. Adds mouth feel as well as a rich malt accent to brew. Very intense, complex, mild, caramel flavour; bread crust. It is recommended to use for up to 5% of your total grain bill for pale beers, up to 15% for dark beers. Often used for Porter, Stout, Schwarzbier, and Barley Wine beer styles."
Also, see Simpson's DRC. All three appear to be crystal malts that goes through a double roasting process, offering that same dark caramel, dried fruits and roasty flavours without the astringency and bitterness of other dark malts. Great for any beer that has a deep red to brown hue, whether german, belgian or british.

I use Simpsons DRC in many of my Dark Belgians, Brown ales and porters, and also as a colour adjustment in some lighter ales.

I used it once to substitute Special B in my Dubbel recipe (no Special B in my supplier shop on that date). Adds a small but perceivable roasted flavour to the beer that I didn´t like. For me, very different from Special B.

Latest posts

Back