Specific flavour in stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know what you mean,However brussels sprouts dont affect me that way and i simply love em.

BTW Another member on this forum is making brussels sprouts wine.
Wonder how that will turn out.????

Don't know what the OP ever figured out but, I find putting molasses in my stout, which has a lot of iron, adds that flavor to stout. I've done up to 6 weight ounces in three gallons.

All the Best,
D. White

I know what you mean,However brussels sprouts dont affect me that way and i simply love em.

BTW Another member on this forum is making brussels sprouts wine.
Wonder how that will turn out.????
I have had broccoli beer, some say they couldn't taste the broccoli, I am sure I could.

Don't know what the OP ever figured out but, I find putting molasses in my stout, which has a lot of iron, adds that flavor to stout. I've done up to 6 weight ounces in three gallons.

All the Best,
D. White
I still haven't worked it out, but I'm confident it's not molasses - none of the stouts that have had this flavour have had molasses in the ingredients. The wife had a bottle from Saltaire brewery last night that had it in the background but not right up front as I'm trying to recreate. I think it's a specific malt flavour, I'll have to keep experimenting.

I still haven't worked it out, but I'm confident it's not molasses - none of the stouts that have had this flavour have had molasses in the ingredients. The wife had a bottle from Saltaire brewery last night that had it in the background but not right up front as I'm trying to recreate. I think it's a specific malt flavour, I'll have to keep experimenting.

When you figure it out let us know. I'm curious as well.

All the Best,
D. White

Have you tries the Guinness Foreign Extra Stout brewed under licence in Nigeria? A very interesting pint brewed with sorghum, I believe, and weighing in at 7.5% abv. It used to be available in Tesco looking just like ordinary Guinness with a tiny red "imported" tag on the label.

Bizarrely, picked up a bottle of exactly this, this afternoon. £2.99 in B&M (I was looking for a trug for possible future temperature management)

Incidentally, my Mrs used to work for Diageo and would often travel to Nigeria where, as you say, this is brewed.

Latest posts

Back