Split a kit to fill a firkin?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_1984

Reaction score
I have an old 9 gallon firkin I was given by a local brewery and was looking to use this for a beer. I also have a two can Wherry kit lying around. Question is, can I split it between two fermenters and top it up with an AG mix to create some new uber-beer? Has anyone else tried to do such a thing?

I think what you mean is a partial brew e.g using a kit as a base and adding to it using grains. I've never done it although I am interested in doing it in the near future as a step closure to AG or BIAB. So yes it is possible but that's all the help I can be I'm afraid :)

You would have to be quick to drink it though as once the cask spile is inserted you only have a few days to finish it off. I have used a cask before but it didn't last the day so I can't tell you how long the beer lasts.

@ steve

Precisely what I meant - figure how what to top it up with.
Does anyone know if there is anything specific to a Wherry malt extract tin?

@ storm in a teacup

If my friends' reaction to me rocking up with enough bottles of mild is anything to go by, this won't be a problem!

Ha my firkin didn't last long either. You best bet is starting a thread in the recepie section for a wherry clone. Someone will have something similar.

@ storm in a teacup

Ah no - i was going to use the Wherry extract as a base and either make a decent session mild or an IPA

UPDATE - 06/11/12

Well, I FINALLY got round to making the first 5 gallons of this uber-brew. The plan is to make 10 gallons, fill up the firkin with 9 then bottle the remainder .

For the 1st half, here's what i chucked in.

SUGARS:
1 x 1.5kg wherry malt extract
1 x 1kg wilko brewing sugar
1 x 454g Lyle's Golden Syrup

GRAIN:

Did a BIG kitchentop partial mash. 90 mins @ 66 then 20 mins @ 93

1lb 6oz maris
1lb amber
1lb munich
1lb wheat
1lb crystal

HOPS:

Added 1oz mixed fuggles & East Kent when dissolving the sugars
Added 1oz WGV for 20 mins during the partial mash

OG - between 1.055 & 1.060 (bit of a rush this morning to get to work) so far this half will be between 5.9% & 6.5%

The tricky thing now will be doing the other 5 gallons to top up, then combine the two in a firkin & hope for the best!
Any tips/hints/thoughts? I think it's apt that it will be called Gunpowder IPA (maybe try & get it up to Imperial IPA style)

Latest posts

Back