Split between barrel and bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kidda

Reaction score
Newbie question: If I wand to split my brew say 20 in bottles then PB the rest which is the best way to do this?

Rack into bottling bucket with priming sugar, do my bottles then syphon the rest to the PB.
Rack straight into the PB with priming sugar then fill the bottles straight from the PB.

Or none of the above!

Ta.

I would prime the bottles, then separately prime the PB. If you are going to prime the PB it will need more sugar to provide CO2 to pressurise the headspace. When I have had to reprime a half empty PB I found I needed about 60g table sugar to get the correct pressure in the PB so that I could dispense beer down to the last dregs (but without overpressurising the PB).
However, a word of caution. If you only half fill a PB the remaining headspace will have a lot of air and oxygen relative to a 'full' PB and that increases your risk of oxidation spoilage unless you have the means to initially purge the headspace using CO2 from bulbs or a cylinder. If you have no means of purging, personally I wouldnt recommend only half filling a PB, but that's up to you.

Latest posts

Back