Spring thing - brilliant!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm really sad I missed this. :-( Sounds like you all had a great time and have done everything right to set us up for a repeat next year! :thumb:

dennisking said:
Another great moment was Barnsley Brewer trying to knock Rob down on his already cheap prices
LoL, he wouldn't budge :D .....
The hop pack weighed 54g and was in the £1.00 category, he wouldn't let me take 4g out to get it into the 50p one..LoL

Take the boy out of Yorkshire but you can't take Yorkshire out of the boy... ;) (Think that's the saying) :hmm:

Cracking bloke Rob. :thumb:

BB

yea what a great chap rob is, :clap:
very entertaining,and knows his stuff too.. :thumb:

i look forward to buying stuff from him, i'll just ell him im after the yorkshire discount... :party:

I certainly will be buying some stuff off rob not only cos i won a £25 voucher i was going to buy anyway just means i can have even more now :D

dennisking said:
Another great moment was Barnsley Brewer trying to knock Rob down on his already cheap prices

I only just remembered that, nearly fell off my chair!!

borischarlton said:
dennisking said:

I only just remembered that, nearly fell off my chair!!

your face was a classic Rob, I could see the grey hairs growing.

BarnsleyBrewer said:
LoL, he wouldn't budge :D .....
The hop pack weighed 54g and was in the £1.00 category, he wouldn't let me take 4g out to get it into the 50p one..LoL

Take the boy out of Yorkshire but you can't take Yorkshire out of the boy... ;) (Think that's the saying) :hmm:

Cracking bloke Rob. :thumb:

BB

You got it wrong then - I got a 54g pack and a 20g pack for £1 on the grounds that on average it was below 100g (and Rob still owed me a quid change for the curry) :lol:

Bosium said:
Congrats everyone, so gutted that I missed this as it looks like it was brilliant. I'm especially sorry I didn't get to try any of the beers!

Liked the IPA too but others got to the angry yank first - so still never tried it as missed it at national, at wetherspoons and now at this - curses!

lancsSteve said:
Been pontificating on ways to build on it and make it even better for the future, - a massive fire pit seems a bit of a pipe dream though... My only small niggle was the sense of 'helicopter judges'. Bill from NCBA was a notable exception who did a great stint of sticking around, chatting and sharing ideas and insights but some other judges were rather swift out of the door (and away from the wall?)... Not perhaps a great way of recruiting the new blood that looks so badly needed based on the judges average age! Wonder if a league table with everyone ranking their 'top 3' in each category might work. Or adding an 'other brews' table where you specify your style and intention and it's an audience judgement based on that and their tastes...? (Or does this all sound suspiciously like AV?!?)

We will certainly be canvassing for ideas when the planning begins at the end of the year.

The problem with the judges was that due to clashes with the Yorkshire Fed and also another Fed show in Nottingham that there were no local judges available. One of them had travelled 125 miles to get to us so wanted to head off sharpish. Bill was the exception as he was booked into a local B&B for the weekend.

Wonder if a league table with everyone ranking their 'top 3' in each category might work. Or adding an 'other brews' table where you specify your style and intention and it's an audience judgement based on that and their tastes...? (Or does this all sound suspiciously like AV?!?)

I think what we need to realise is that if you have "National Guild Of Wine and Beer Judges" Judging an event, then the event should follow their rules and style Guidelines.

Details on Here

If you want to change the way they do things then the best way is to become one of them by sitting the exam (not easy if you read the rules and regs)

If you want slightly more adventurous classes then its BJCP, Edited- AFAIAA No event in the UK has been to BJCP style or guidelines as of yet though, But I note the first exams in europe for the BJCP took place in Febuary this year, in London, so some events may be changing soon, anyone know any more?

UP

Twas a great weekend and a real pleasure to put faces to names. The brewery was a great place to hold the event and Karls (Carls?) open house approach with everyone just 'pottering' around was superb :cool:
Apologies to all those who I didn't say goodbye to before leaving, I wasn't being rude, just felt poorly and wanted to get off asap, whilst still capable of driving :(
Can't wait for the next one :cheers:

lancsSteve said:
Bosium said:
Congrats everyone, so gutted that I missed this as it looks like it was brilliant. I'm especially sorry I didn't get to try any of the beers!

Liked the IPA too but others got to the angry yank first - so still never tried it as missed it at national, at wetherspoons and now at this - curses!

Heh, at least you tried the IPA Steve. I must have gone to 'spoons more times in that festival than I did in the year before it and they never had Angry Yank on. You need to add a square bracket to one of the links in your sig btw.

Gutted to have missed it, but definitely not a good plan to be ****** and staggering around a field with my knee in the state that it is in at the moment. There will be one next year, right?

unclepumble said:
Wonder if a league table with everyone ranking their 'top 3' in each category might work. Or adding an 'other brews' table where you specify your style and intention and it's an audience judgement based on that and their tastes...? (Or does this all sound suspiciously like AV?!?)

I think what we need to realise is that if you have "National Guild Of Wine and Beer Judges" Judging an event, then the event should follow their rules and style Guidelines.

Details on Here

If you want to change the way they do things then the best way is to become one of them by sitting the exam (not easy if you read the rules and regs)

If you want slightly more adventurous classes then its BJCP, Edited- AFAIAA No event in the UK has been to BJCP style or guidelines as of yet though, But I note the first exams in europe for the BJCP took place in Febuary this year, in London, so some events may be changing soon, anyone know any more?

UP

I've spun off a thread about the NGWBJ and the BJCP here

wish i'd gone now, I'm only 2 mile from church end too, went Blues Fulham instead. Waste of time that was!!

Joe said:
went Blues Fulham instead. Waste of time that was!!

Yes, you would have been better with us, lots more dribbling and better ball control on the campsite.

Back