Srumpy style cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cf.

Reaction score
Is there anyway of making a tc srumpy style cider from apple juice as I personally hate the white lightning woodpecker sort of ciders . I know I have to use maltic acid and tanning with the right cider yeast with it but can not afford the kits please tell me this is a possibility

It is a most definite possibility, it's called "Turbo Cider"!
It's made from supermarket Apple Juice and tastes just fine.
All you need add is yeast, tannin and, if you don't like it dry, a bit of "splenda"!

You said it your self.

1 gallon of 100% from concentrate apple juice (cheap is fine as along as it is 100% apple juice)
1 tsp of pectolase
1 tsp of malic acid
1 tsp of tannin or a really really really strong cup of black tea (so stong you wouldn't be able to drink it)

Some cider yeast or if you haven't some wine yeast.

Just put it all together in a sterilized DJ and let it ferment. Once it has fermented leave it for 3-6 months before bottling. This will develope the flavour that you are probably looking for.

Dont worry if it goes like this

pear-1.jpg

courtesy of tazuk

This the malolactic fermentation which turns the rather tart malic acid into lactic acid and other things.

It is very easy and straight forward. The trick is not to drink it early as you will be put off by the taste or lack of it.

Cheers

Alistair

Thanks for the reply's gentleman I am going to give it a shot and make a few gallon

Hello cf.,

to make a coudy scrumpy style cider you have to leave out the pectolase and I would not rack it more than once. Then there are many definitions of scrumpy so it all depends which one you want to achieve. Some define scrumpy as unsophsticated young cider (cider that has not gote through malo-lactic fermentation) while others have the complete opposite view.

Thanks for the reply I would not use any finings or anything on it

Back