St Georges day Special

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve k

Reaction score
According to my CJ Berry book, St Georges day is the traditional day for collecting Dandelions and brewing them up. So guess what me and the kids are doing with an empty demijohn on Saturday.

Does anyone have a good recipe for an amateur?

Cheers

Steve

I'm sure Moley will get to this soon, but I would use the one in the book. I'm sure I read somewhere that sugar is a lot better than when Mr Berry wrote the book. So I would turn the sugar to syrup, add that gradually last & check the SG as you do to get it the way you want. :thumb:

Funily enough the mrs said about dandelion wine today as you can see by my beehives theres enough there!
Midday tomorrow guess what she'll be doing. I'm not picking them, they make you wet the bed :nono:

Cussword said:
I'm sure Moley will get to this soon, but I would use the one in the book.
Sorry, I did see this question earlier, didn't really have time to reply, but would have said “use the one in the book”.

From my own notes, I used CJJB's recipe #1 but in place of the raisins or concentrate I used a litre of white grape juice.

I don't think they made me wet the bed but they did stain my fingers, my bucket and everything else they touched.

I think I had a little sip when I bottled it and thought “that's pretty rank, I'll put it away and forget about it for a while”.

I tried a bottle after about a year, it was showing promise but there was still something not quite nice about it.

I've left the other 5 bottles until you've raised the subject again, so I had to go and fetch one.

It's bloody gorgeous! :D
(and 15% abv) :drunk:

So get some made, and then forget about it for 2 years. :thumb:

I made one gallon last year but have 4 on the kitchen window sill at the moment going absolutely nuts. We had one of last year's bottles last night and it was great. I'd watered mine down to <12% as >15% means only I'd drink it and then I'd fall over which I don't like doing.

I used the recipe from the Salmon book "Favourite Country Wines and Cordials".

Latest posts

Back