St Peters Golden Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigd2657

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just a quick question, I am about to put on a St Peters Golden Ale, if I was to put syrup and honey in the kit as well does anybody think it may turn out disastrous.

Also how long should I leave this kit before drinking, I normally leave my bottle about 6 weeks but I did a St Peter s Ruby Red Ale and it was a lovely pint after 4 weeks in the bottle.

I will be bottling the St Peters Golden Ale.

Also has anybody had any bad times with this kit.

Thanks in advance

Big D 2657

Adding 50g of honey to the toucans I've done have brought them up to about 6%. I did one where I added a whole tin of golden syrup (454g) and it ended up at 8.3%.

I think Golden Syrup has its place in the homebrewers adjuncts.
However it does come with its own distinctive taste. So although it's lost in a complex beer like a stout it may be noticeable in a light beer.
So my advice is don't be too heavy handed with the GS unless you really like the taste.

Hi all,

Just a quick question, I am about to put on a St Peters Golden Ale, if I was to put syrup and honey in the kit as well does anybody think it may turn out disastrous.

Also how long should I leave this kit before drinking, I normally leave my bottle about 6 weeks but I did a St Peter s Ruby Red Ale and it was a lovely pint after 4 weeks in the bottle.

I will be bottling the St Peters Golden Ale.

Also has anybody had any bad times with this kit.

Thanks in advance

Big D 2657
There will be no flavor from golden syrup i made the same mistake thinking that a beer made with golden syrup would taste of toffee, it just ferments out like any sugar, honey does give a subtle taste , i will be trying a golden ale soon and will add a teaspoon of honey per 500ml at carbonation to see if it imparts a flavor :thumb:

I think Golden Syrup has its place in the homebrewers adjuncts.
However it does come with its own distinctive taste. So although it's lost in a complex beer like a stout it may be noticeable in a light beer.
So my advice is don't be too heavy handed with the GS unless you really like the taste.

I couldn't agree more, when I first started using it I always used a whole tin and ended up with some real head bangers but over time I've mellowed my use of it.

Made this kit as per the instructions and found it pretty disappointing so I don't think you have too much to lose by adding extras. I've made the St Peters Ruby Ale kit twice now and that is a very nice pint.

Golden syrup won't do much for it. It'll up the abv but reduce body. Not much use in a two can kit. If you want to add strength some light malt extract would do the trick. A dry hop will give you some extra hop flavour and aroma.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back