Beer connoisseur drinks coronation ale from 1952

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
1709134379049.png

By Shannon Eustace
BBC News, Suffolk

A beer connoisseur has finally opened a 72-year-old coronation ale, which he said tasted like "Christmas cake".

Roger Protz, a beer writer from St Albans, Hertfordshire, was gifted the bottle 12 years ago by Greene King brewery in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk.
The ale was brewed in 1952 to commemorate the coronation of Elizabeth II the following year.
Mr Protz said: "It tasted delicious - like Christmas cake, molasses, liquorish; biscuity."

According to the tag around the bottle neck, about 500 bottles of the coronation ale were put aside in the network of cellars below the brewery.
They were rediscovered in 2001 during an examination of the building's foundations, but due to flooding, the original labels were ruined and some bottle tops had rusted.
"They thought the beer would probably be undrinkable," said Mr Protz, who then popped it in his own cellar at home.
"I forgot about it until... last year's coronation [of King Charles III].
"To my astonishment, it had three caps on it, which obviously kept it in a safe condition and all those years later, it was still very, very drinkable."
Mr Protz, who formerly wrote for the Campaign for Real Ale, said the beer was likely to have been "bottle conditioned", where yeast and sugar is added during bottling to trigger a second fermentation.
"[The bottle] was less than half a pint - what used to be called a nip - indicating a very strong ale," said Mr Protz. "I would say from my experience it was very strong, about 12% alcohol."

1709134408756.png

Back