Stable FG but still bubbling?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lagerlout

Reaction score
My coopers irish stout has been in the FV for 2 weeks now, and despite the gravity being stable at 1.010 for about the last 4 days it's still bubbling in the airlock occasionally. Sometimes i wont hear it for hours but then i'll hear it 2 or 3 times 10 minutes apart.

From searching on here it seems 1.010 is normal to bottle but the bublbling suggests it's still fermenting, so should i leave it a while longer? It tastes delicious so i'm keen to get it bottled! :D

If the readings have been the same for 4 days I'd bottle it now :thumb:

It could just be temperature change and a gentle pressure release thats causing the airlock to still bubble :?:

No sign of any CO2 bubbles when i took the lid off so i bottled it :thumb: The FV isnt usually airtight but the froth from fermentation must have sealed it all up earlier on.

I've had a couple brews do this and haven't had any problems once in the bottles. I was a bit concerned the first time it happened as I thought maybe if I bottled I might be making bottle bombs! This wasn't the case although it was very lively when i added the sugar to the bottles for conditioning!! I did quite a bit of reading to try and find out why this happens but can't really find anything to explain it? It can indicate a bad brew but this wasn't the issue for me as the beer tastes awesome. I think it is probably just a bit of gas escaping from the trub?! The golden rule for me is always use a hydrometer and you can't go too wrong!
Let us know how it turns out after your first sample!!

Erl :drink:

Cheers guys, im not too worried about the brew being bad or anything as it tastes delicious already, especially after priming with black treacle! And the smell :shock: :shock: :drink:

Will contribute to the kit review thread in a few weeks time :cheers:

Probably too late but I would be tempted to leave it another couple of days to make sure.

Is the temp the same? If you increase the temp then it will start bubling again as the CO2 comes out a bit (i was caught out by this)

Latest posts

Back