Stainless Steel Braided Hose

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

periolus

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi all!

Following completion of my MT build -

(Coleman Xtreme 50qt Mash Tun Conversion)

- I am trying to make the SS braided hose manifold/filter. I have cut the ends off and am trying to remove what appears to very good quality thick black rubber hose from within.

HOW???! I can slide the braid back a little, but how do you remove the bloody hose? Very tricky from what I am experiencing so far! Any advice would be much appreciated.

Hi all!

Following completion of my MT build -

(Coleman Xtreme 50qt Mash Tun Conversion)

- I am trying to make the SS braided hose manifold/filter. I have cut the ends off and am trying to remove what appears to very good quality thick black rubber hose from within.

HOW???! I can slide the braid back a little, but how do you remove the bloody hose? Very tricky from what I am experiencing so far! Any advice would be much appreciated.
Pliers, long nose on the tube, Linemans on the braid. I seem to remember mine when I did it was nylon tube inside not rubber. A few years ago now but. Not really a successful filter though, to delicate.

Thanks for that - I’ll make sure to get Linemans to tackle this properly. I have .8mm SS wire to make a coil to line the hose afterwards to make it strong enough to handle the weight of the grain. Hopefully that will do it. 👍🏻

Right! Definitely need a plastic inner, the rubber won’t move at all - almost all places I have looked only stock EDPM rubber lined braided hose now.

Except for this autopart company:

https://www.autosiliconehoses.com/8mm-stainless-steel-braided-hose-ptfe-liner.html
This leaves 10mm diameter braid, but if they do wider then might get it as this is PTFE lined. I am worried that the braiding might be tighter than standard plumbing parts though. Any thoughts? Is 10mm wide enough to clip to 1/2” hose tails?

Last edited:
Right! Definitely need a plastic inner, the rubber won’t move at all - almost all places I have looked only stock EDPM rubber lined braided hose now.

Except for this autopart company:

https://www.autosiliconehoses.com/8mm-stainless-steel-braided-hose-ptfe-liner.html
This leaves 10mm diameter braid, but if they do wider then might get it as this is PTFE lined. I am worried that the braiding might be tighter than standard plumbing parts though. Any thoughts? Is 10mm wide enough to clip to 1/2” hose tails?
Are you meaning hose 'barbs' Do they have to be 12 mm ?

Are you meaning hose 'barbs' Do they have to be 12 mm ?

Thanks for the reply. I do mean hose barbs - sorry, my plumbing terminology is not always accurate! I have the 1/2” BSP barbs and from what I think I have gleaned overnight, I will have a 10mm diameter braided hose to clamp on. That should be fine.

I can’t believe how hard it has been to source one with a plastic liner though!

... I can’t believe how hard it has been to source one with a plastic liner though!
Why not get the braid alone (Ebay)? Saves trying to decide what material the inner hose should be (which you are removing). You might also choose a bigger diameter that has a better chance of actually working.

I had one more go with some 16mm PTFE lined hose, but it is so robust I just can’t get the pipe out.

Can anyone find or does anyone know of a supplier (including eBay, that just supplies the braid? I can’t find one at all and it’s beginning to get me down now 🙁

Back