Stainless Steel Conical Fermenters

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Williseuro

Reaction score
I am posting in the hope that I might get some feedback with regards to stainless conical fermenters. We are a company which imports large conical fermenters for the general brewing industry from the Far East. To date we have imported about 40 large conical fermenters in the region of 20 BRL to 60 BRL capacity which have proved very populer. We are looking at importing small scale stainless fermenters for the home brewing market, and to this end we currently have a container which is due to be shipped in January with some spare loading capacity.
If we looked at filling this space with some home fermenters, what size would most people be interested in? We can supply them as 30L, 50L, 65L and100L and 150L capacities. I would add that these are working cpapcities and include for 15/20% head space. (ie the 30L fermenter actually has a brim full capacity of 35 Litres)
They will be supplied with rotating rack arms and 3 piece stainless ball valves.
Our initial costings show that we could supply them ex works our factory at the following prices : 30L £350, 50L £425, 65L £470, 100L £570, 150L £680 all plus VAT.
I am really looking to see what interest there would be, and what sizes would be most popular!

20L30L50L65L100L.jpg

For me I have to say that I would probably want a 20/25L (Probably making do with 30L) and a 100 or a 150L :hmm: . . . . . . 150L is tempting, but The 100L is probably the most practical . . . For January Just the 100L . . . 350 quid for a 30L is not going to get past the Financial Controller though :evil:

I'll probably go for the 150L's not sure now though if I can fit 6 of them in.
We are cock stretching here aren't we? eh ;)

Welcome to the forum Will :thumb:
I would add that these are working capacities and include for 15/20% head space. (i.e. the 30L fermenter actually has a brim full capacity of 350 Litres)
I will assume that is a typo and should read 35ltr :hmm:
Personally, I would be very interested in a single 65ltr conical for the moment, with potentially 2 x 50ltr ones for the future, however, I would need to know the item was sound before parting with my cash. There have been many discussions regards imports from China regards conicals, on this and other forums.

Some have had them imported cheaply, and have been happy with the cash paid v quality.
Some have had them imported and wished they'd have bought more expensive items due to the poor build/weld quality of the items.
Some have asked for pictures of the items weld/build quality, (myself included), and have been that unimpressed by the response/pictures that we have chosen not to buy.
and others are apprehensive about buying with little chance for recourse once the item is at our door, as they are at considerable cost to a homebrewer.

If you could alleviate a few of these concerns it would be much appreciated :thumb:

What we intend to do is to sell from stock, so the fermenters would be here for your inspection before taking delivery. I hear what you say about quality, but we have spent about 6 years investigating supplies from China, and we have supplied many breweries in the UK with fermenters from this manufacturer with no problems.
I know there is **** in China, and believe me I have been to the factories! We made the decision to pay a little more and guarantee the quality.
Obviously this is a new market for us. See our site www.williseuropean.com
All I am looking for is a bit of feedback as to whether there would be a demand, or whether I would be putting money into stock which will sit there forever more!

Like what your saying Will and totally understand your last comment. I see your near Staff's/Wolver location wise. If you're confident in the quality I'd take a 65ltr, but it would probably be Feb or March before I could raise the cash in it's entirity.
Personally, I feel a lot more confident about being able to see the item before purchasing, and also the fact that you are a trading company reassures me.

If I were you, I'd be tempted to take a refundable deposit based on inspection of goods being satisfactory at collection. Once you have a few happy clients who can vouch for the items this won't be needed as the items will sell themselves!

Let us know what you decide to do :thumb:

If I was to be completely honest, the number of brewers that will be interested in Stainless conicals here in the UK, is going to be fairly small . . . especially in the larger sizes . . . I know of one other brewer that is looking for a Conical larger than 100L . . . . And I've made my mind up if I was going to buy a stainless conical it will be a 150L . . . . a 20L conical would be ideal for yeast culturing though.

In a couple of years though I will be looking for a couple of 2.5BBL though

So do you think if I got them to put a dozen 65litre fermenters in the container this would be a good start?
Tim

TBH, if you could get a mix you'd probably get faster sales. The average brew length is 23ltr so the 30ltr ones would suffice. People like myself who have 100ltr total capacity tend to brew between 60 -80ltr, myself being 65ltr, so 65 & 100ltr would cover that. I would imagine 100ltr+ will give very few sales, but I could be wrong, some micro's may be interested in the them.

Some information on the conicals would be nice.
Are the ball valve locators on the conical welded or press fit?
Is the concical body- press mould, welded or a mixture?
How does the lid seal, if via a seal will you stock spares?
Do you have any example photo's of the welds (if any)

Sorry for all the question but they may provide answers to what some people are thinking, including myself ;)

the 65l would be my choice as it is a double brew length, the wife is obviously stood behind me and is tapping her foot saying what about my new sofa... ow that hurt....

I am having my new settee, if you are gonna get one of those and I 'm having it first!

we apologise for the break in service I have gotten the keyboard back now :lol: she has gone so I am guessing that was a yes, looks like extra shifts for me for a few months :thumb:

I agree with vossy thats why I haven't bought one before, If I am going to shell out a heap of cash quality has to be paramount

We are now expecting fermenters into stock middle of January 2011.

Capacities will be 65 Litre (75 L Gross) and 100 Litre (116 L Gross).

Prices will be £495.00 for the 65 Litre and £626.00 for the 100 Litre (prices plus VAT & Delivery)

65L-fermentationtank-Model.jpg

100L-fermentationtank-Model.jpg

20L30L50L65L100L.jpg

Did you have your 'sample' unit tested by a homebrewer in the end, and if so what feedback did you get ?
I can't believe a year has passed :shock:

EDIT, and will you be stocking spares for them ?

IMG_0057.jpg

We now have new stock of 65L and 100L models.

Prices have increased unfortunately due to rising stainless prices.

65L model is £595.00 plus VAT delivered.
100L model is £726.00 plus VAT deliveed.

specs include :

304 grade stainless steel.
Adjustable Racking Valve.
Temperature Gauge.
Sample Tap.
2 off Lever Ball Valves
1 off Lever Air Vent
3 Legs.
Removeable Domed Lid with Clamp

http://www.williseuropean.com

The fittings are Triclamp, but we can supply adapters if you prefer RJT or something else.
We had a customer pick one up today, and he reckoned the quality of the units was first class.
If anybody wants to pop in and see the quality, our kettle is constantly on!

Back