Stainless stock pots etc

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I posted this on here: http://thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=526

"I don't recommend these. pots from USA They look like the Nordic ones but the handles are very poorly made and attached, the lid is different from the photograph and, again, poorly made from China. The Nordic ones are stronger. I also got stung for VAT, customs duty and £8 "handling charge" on behalf of Parcel Force. :evil: "

I personally would hang on to see if Nordic will do theirs again before buying these. Just my personal viewpoint, of course! :|

BillyB said:
I posted this on here: http://thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=526

"I don't recommend these. pots from USA They look like the Nordic ones but the handles are very poorly made and attached, the lid is different from the photograph and, again, poorly made from China. The Nordic ones are stronger. I also got stung for VAT, customs duty and £8 "handling charge" on behalf of Parcel Force. :evil: "

I personally would hang on to see if Nordic will do theirs again before buying these. Just my personal viewpoint, of course! :|

Warning noted and heeded. I was considering giving them a trial but won't bother now.

Ah well!!! :cheers:

Those pots look the original Nordic pots.
The lid handles are spot welded in 4 places and the handle welding isn't the best.
Having said that my 70ltr brewery had 3 of them and I never had any problems with them....TBH...I've only had problems with the newer design pots.

These kind of pots would be easy to source in China if a few people got together to buy some. I already have mine but i'd be happy to find a supplier over there if any of you guys are interested. I know V and a few others were talking to George Yang about Conicals and i bet he'd be the guy to approach for pots. He's a good guy and he doesn't ask for big orders. I have his mail and his msn details if anybody wants them?

I'll take a photo later to show you the detail of lids and welding of handles from the 2 I got from the US and the one I got from Nordic.

First the lid handle from the US one. The handle is thin (sharp edges) and almost just tacked to the lid. Note it is not the same as in the eBay photos which shown as round knob affair.
081018-DSC_5267_DXO.jpg

Here's the one from the Nordic one for comparison:
081018-DSC_5268_DXO.jpg

The handle from the US one. Badly riveted with just 3 rivets on each end and second photo shows the "repair work" on the inside of the pot including scuff marks.
081018-DSC_5269_DXO.jpg

081018-DSC_5270_DXO.jpg

Compare to the Nordic one with a much stronger handle design and clean on the inside:
081018-DSC_5271_DXO.jpg

081018-DSC_5272_DXO.jpg

The design of the handle is not very good on the US one (on the right) - extends over the rim and too close so *if* you needed to lift can get your knuckles a bit hot.
081018-DSC_5273_DXO.jpg

Finally the Nordic pot came clean and shiny the US one has these almost impossible to remove Chinese stickers:
081018-DSC_5274_DXO.jpg

Finally the US ones just seem thinner and more "clangy" than the Nordic one. Plus I paid no import duties from Germany but cost me an arm and a leg and a 10 day wait in customs from the US.

Just my opinion of course......! :cheers:

Great pics BillyB :thumb: very helpful for anyone making up their mind on spending their hard earned wonga :thumb:

A T said:
These kind of pots would be easy to source in China if a few people got together to buy some. quote]

I'd be up for a couple or so. NO stock pots seem to have dried up again.

A T said:
These kind of pots would be easy to source in China if a few people got together to buy some. I already have mine but i'd be happy to find a supplier over there if any of you guys are interested. I know V and a few others were talking to George Yang about Conicals and i bet he'd be the guy to approach for pots. He's a good guy and he doesn't ask for big orders. I have his mail and his msn details if anybody wants them?

I would certainly be interested in conicals.........

I'm not going to look at this thread anymore, I have a feeling it's going to hurt my wallet :grin:

Back