Stalled fermentation ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say read through my post but I would hate to comment without your original gravity reading......if in doubt leave it and check every 2 days for drop
that was the plan haha, no i did read through I just wanted confirmation that I'm not being a moron; I'm on my first brew so I'm going in blind to these things lol :thumbsup:

that was the plan haha, no i did read through I just wanted confirmation that I'm not being a moron; I'm on my first brew so I'm going in blind to these things lol :thumbsup:
I know how you feel....there's a lot of people on here that are happy to help beginners like us....one thing I've learned is quite often the final gravity is unrealistically low...I find that if you sterilise all your equipment before you start a brew you can check that it's all there and fine...🍺

From what I understand if you increase temp slightly towards the end of fermentation it won’t produce a load of esters and unwanted flavours as most of the sugar is already converted. Give it a swirl to rouse the yeast and check sg again.

Also are you using dry yeast? Do you rehydrate? I’m still learning myself but I understand after temperature control for fermentation, a healthy and appropriate sized yeast pitch makes for good fermentation and a good 🍺.
All the kits I've used so far have used dry yeast...the problem i have is in not using a heat pad or belt so I'm relying on my boiler cupboard/brew cupboard maintaining a constant temp...I think it's time to get some heating on the go as I'm really getting into it with 4 FV's on the go now ....Cheers 🍻

Just a quick one in the OP’s stuck Muntons Belgian Ale- did you add the spraymalt after 5 days and start the secondary ferment? Assume its good for another .5% ish abv?

ive just started it so not speaking from experience

Hi
Just a quick one in the OP’s stuck Muntons Belgian Ale- did you add the spraymalt after 5 days and start the secondary ferment? Assume its good for another .5% ish abv?

ive just started it so not speaking from experience
Hi sorry for late reply...yes I did as instructed with second fermentation etc...it took 4 weeks to get to 1.010 so 5.3% not impressed way of the mark of 7.5% tasted ok though

I'm learning to not be so worried if my brew doesn't go to plan I'm now on my 14th brew and 6 different manufacturers and to be totally honest bulldog brews have been the most accurate...I'm happy with my brews so far all have been totally drinkable 😎

Hi
Hi sorry for late reply...yes I did as instructed with second fermentation etc...it took 4 weeks to get to 1.010 so 5.3% not impressed way of the mark of 7.5% tasted ok though
Thanks. I kegged mine at the weekend and got her down to 1.005. Took 3 weeks to get there and upping temps by a couple degrees.

Because Id made it long by mistake I added an additional 500g of light spray malt and a couple hundred grams of sugar for luck and calculated an ABV about 8%. Taste is.... a tad interesting out of the keg now, it was much better from undisturbed samples before siphoning- which I imagine is the yeast adding some ‘character’. Its in the fridge carbing at the moment so hope conditioning will mellow it slightly. Either way it’ll get drunk so 🤷🏻

Thanks. I kegged mine at the weekend and got her down to 1.005. Took 3 weeks to get there and upping temps by a couple degrees.

Because Id made it long by mistake I added an additional 500g of light spray malt and a couple hundred grams of sugar for luck and calculated an ABV about 8%. Taste is.... a tad interesting out of the keg now, it was much better from undisturbed samples before siphoning- which I imagine is the yeast adding some ‘character’. Its in the fridge carbing at the moment so hope conditioning will mellow it slightly. Either way it’ll get drunk so 🤷🏻
Sounds like a good result 👍

Latest posts

Back