Standard lager kit hop additions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLGMIlson

Reaction score
hello everyone

Lager kits never turn out that tasty

However I am going to buy a coopers or something like that and add some extras

I’ve a rough idea tetnanger perhaps but I’d like some ideas

Thanks

hello everyone

Lager kits never turn out that tasty

However I am going to buy a coopers or something like that and add some extras

I’ve a rough idea tetnanger perhaps but I’d like some ideas

Thanks

Most Lager kits make a pale ale sort of brew, with some DME or Brew Enhancer added, as well as just sugar. Cascade goes nicely with this sort of beer. Almost any hops would give it a lift, however.

I also quite liked the Blushing Blonde recipe on the Coopers site. Basically you freeze some berries, then steep them in a nylon bag in the FV after the first vigorous ferment is over.
https://uk.diybeer.com/recipes/index/view/id/30/

I used Blackberries as there are lots locally in the Autumn, but raspberries would be better, I suspect.

Bought coopers European kit j

I’ve got tetnanger 100g and cascade 100g hops

How much of each hop should I put in and is the yeast supplied sufficient

Cheers everyone

I think the European lager kit from Coopers comes with a mixture of Lager and Ale yeast and will be best fermented down nearer 12C than 18C.

50g of either hop added as a dry hop in a nylon bag 5 days before bottling will be good. Sterilise the bag you dry hop in and add sterilised cutlery or glass marbles to keep the hops immersed.

Alternatives to Dry hopping include a hop tea.

I'm pretty sure it's actually a pure lager yeast in the Coopers Euro, Clint. I've had great results with this kit fermented at around 12°, but it needs 2-3 months conditioning in the bottle. Great kit; not sure I'd dry hop it for that reason alone as I suspect the hop aroma would fade during that time. I'd add a hop tea for flavour.

I'm pretty sure it's actually a pure lager yeast in the Coopers Euro, Clint. I've had great results with this kit fermented at around 12°, but it needs 2-3 months conditioning in the bottle. Great kit; not sure I'd dry hop it for that reason alone as I suspect the hop aroma would fade during that time. I'd add a hop tea for flavour.

Here is the extract from the Coopers site:

"1. The yeast supplied with Coopers European Lager is a true lager strain. Lager yeast behaves differently to the normal Coopers Yeast.
2. Avoid using too much simple sugar (white sugar or dextrose) with this product as the lager yeast will ferment more thoroughly causing the beer to lack in body.
3. Preferred brewing temperature is at the low end of the recommended range (i.e. 21°C). Coopers European Lager yeast can ferment as low as 13°C. Lower ferment temperatures extend the fermentation period. Ensure fermentation has finished before bottling.
4. It is common for lager yeast to produce a smell like eggs when fermenting, this should dissipate as the beer conditions in the bottle.
5. Allow Coopers European Lager at least 12 weeks in the bottle before consuming."

So, make of that what you will.

What I'd do is find a really nice recipe for Belgian pale ale. Brew it up and pour the lager kit in at the end to give it a bit of wallop. Lovely jubbly.

Back