Star San dosage.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mbarn

Reaction score
I've finally bought some Star San after spending 2 boring hours using Milton to sterilise 40 bottles and a FV, then the numerous extra rinses to remove any residue.

The Star San bottle says 15-25ml per 10 litres, so I assume it would take 1.5 - 2.5ml for a litre from what I've read on here, but how do you all measure out such a small amount with any accuracy?

Thanks in advance!

honeymonster said:
I haven't used star san yet myself but I'd use something like this....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sterile-1...plies_Disposables_ET&var=&hash=item35cd671839

+1 on that!
I ordered some but they havent come yet.
Im going to be using it like this.
Use this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-48223-1- ... er+sprayer

and then make up 1.25l of star san solution and then pump it up.
Put my bottle on the end give a quick spray and then leave to drain for 5 mins and then bottle.
I will give more feedback on this when i put it all together but if you do use this method then get that spray bottle and no other ones that are cheaper because this one is the only one with a majority of good review.

Happy brewing :cheers:
Jacob

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a 10ml syringe from the pharmacy after someone said to get one from there, was something like 50p. I use 1.6ml starsan per litre :thumb:

I'd probably use one of the many little syringes that come with kids' medicines like nurofen. Also work well as a pocket beer engine.

Thanks all. Just noticed Calpol has a great syringe for low volume accuracy, but I'm not allowed to use it :-)
Will buy one tomorrow.

Hi, I have just squirted 8ml of star san into 5L distilled water (it's in the opaque container it came in, from hallfords)

Silly question: It seems a tiny amount for such a much larger body of water. Should I be shaking this as mad to make sure it has fully blended in? I read that star san foams so I don't want to risk creating lots of foam if not needed.

My intention is to fill a water spray bottle using the diluted star san.

HarrowBrew said:
Hi, I have just squirted 8ml of star san into 5L distilled water <snip> Should I be shaking this as mad to make sure it has fully blended in? I read that star san foams so I don't want to risk creating lots of foam if not needed.
Well it needs to be mixed, inverting it a few times should be enough . . .Don't Fear The Foam :D . . .It does break down again so that you can pour it into a spray bottle.

If you mix up 5 litres of water, 8 ml of starsan in a syringe is easy to measure, even with my dodgy eyesight. Best not to splash onto fingers or into eyes when neat, I wear glasses and gloves.

Oooops, sorry, just realised this advice has already been posted ....... that's my eyes again :roll:

Pjam said:
Best not to splash onto fingers or into eyes when neat, I wear glasses and gloves.

I got a bit of a splash first time I used a syringe, it went on my fingers and the worktop. Washed it off the fingers quickly but it seemed to burn marks into the kitchen worktop.

Will definitely be using glasses and gloves next time.

Back