Star san is not foaming

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stylis

Reaction score
Hi all. Don't know if I have mixed it correctly. But after reading so many posts about star san. Don't fear the foam etc. I was kinda expecting more. I used 8ml for a 5lt demi John of solution. But it seems like such a small amount.

When I've sprayed through a spray bottle there is no foam, smell and it doesn't feel soapy. Is this normal?

If the amount is correct. How do I make it foam up?

Cheers.

1.5ml to 1 liter so 5 L is 7.5ml . So should be ok . What water you using ? My tap water is no good so i use distilled (di ionised) water from the super markets.

Give it a good shake in a bottle - does it foam? It won't foam out of a spray bottle, unless you use a special foam nozzle. You don't need the foam, it just helps it to cling to surfaces. 30 seconds contact time is enough, just spray it on and leave it.

No worries. What about smell and feel? Should it have a scent and soapy feel

Doesn't really smell of anything, once diluted correctly. Not really soapy, either, as the surfactant is to make it foam and cling, rather than act as a detergent.

So long as it's not cloudy and you used water with a low PH, you should be fine. Most people use Tesco Ashbeck, as it has the right PH. Other waters that have a PH over 6.5 raise the alkalinity too high.

SloeBrewer said:
Doesn't really smell of anything, once diluted correctly. Not really soapy, either, as the surfactant is to make it foam and cling, rather than act as a detergent.

So long as it's not cloudy and you used water with a low PH, you should be fine. Most people use Tesco Ashbeck, as it has the right PH. Other waters that have a PH over 6.5 raise the alkalinity too high.

Mines always cloudy at 2.5 ph with tap water at 7.2 and works fine, I reckon that cloudy starsan causing problems is a brewing myth. As long as its below the manufacturers ph which, off the top of my head, is 3.5, then it's working fine.

might be worth getting some indicator papers to check your water ph and pre add citric acid to lower the ph if needed before using the starsan.

Dosen't really need to foam in my opinion. I've kept a bucket of Starsan for an extended period of time and still used it to sanitise bottles and I've had no infections, foam or no foam. The foam isn't too important, just as long as the equipment/FV is covered in Starsan solution for at least 30 seconds. Cloudy, inefficient Starsan is a myth I reckon because even after a few months it still sanitises efficiently (tried and tested), they probably just want you to dump it so they sell more bottles quickly :P. I have soft water however so a high alkalinity MAY affect it.

Thanks for your help everybody. You've helped put my mind at ease a little.

BrewSage1985 said:
Cloudy, inefficient Starsan is a myth I reckon

The most important aspect is keeping the pH at 3. If you have listened to the Starsan podcast, he does explain all about it and how as an acid cleaner, it has to be at the right pH to work. The cloudy aspect is it reacting with minerals in the water, many of which are akaline, which raise the pH, therefore reducing the effectiveness.

I always keep a 1 litre spray bottle handy for squirting on everything just before its used....sometimes that is in there for months...never had a problem.

and 1.25mls of star san I can afford to throw it away and refill whenever I make up a batch to clean my pots.

The home brew shop. Just searched start san on Google and used first listing.

Back