star san where to buy

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iceo

Landlord.
Reaction score
im looking at getting some star san but i cant get it locally so its got to be mail order but where is the cheapest for shipping as i try to keep my shopping local. i dont want to pay as much for postage as the product.

Thanks but at the postage of £7 Is what I mean almost as much as the star san it self

Hello iceo, I live quite close to you.

I would avoid that star san. 1. I think its American, 2. I dont trust the "its ok to consume the bubbles of this chemical"... 3. I use VWP sparingly and rinse after. Follow the homebrew instructions, not the other instructions on it. You can get it in Boyes in Louth £1.50 for a small tub, or probably your local home brew shop. I mix about 1 tea spoon per gallon of warm water and at lasts ages and its done in 5 mins.

i use the 8oz star san listed in the link and it's great stuff , even at £17 including postage it'll last 2 years easily besides you could get a few items and the postage will be the same (up to a certain weight , can't remember right now) .

fizz head1982 said:
Hello iceo, I live quite close to you.

I would avoid that star san. 1. I think its American, 2. I dont trust the "its ok to consume the bubbles of this chemical"... 3. I use VWP sparingly and rinse after. Follow the homebrew instructions, not the other instructions on it. You can get it in Boyes in Louth £1.50 for a small tub, or probably your local home brew shop. I mix about 1 tea spoon per gallon of warm water and at lasts ages and its done in 5 mins.

why does it make a diffidence if its american? the bubbles are bio degradable byproducts. i have VWP but having to wash eash bottles 2-3 times is a waste of water and time.

quote...
I would avoid that star san. 1. I think its American, 2. I dont trust the "its ok to consume the bubbles of this chemical".

I dont understand those two remarks at all.....??

When I sanitise my cornies or bottles with Star San, there is much much foam...its left on the surface of the vessels as they are filled with beer, it causes no harm, it causes no taste and its protecting the beer at all times.....

My cornies push out a worm of foam as the beer goes slowly in..When full I scoop the top bit of foam off to get the lid on !

I just dont trust it to be safe to consume. What is it? Americans have allot of products that they consume that are banned in Europe, and probably vice versa. I just dont want to eat something that i dont know what it is. Just my opinion.

Plus if your in Lincolnshire too, the water where I am is very hard with lime and chlorine.. Very alkaline water. Star san is an acid. So I think you would have to use more?

As this is Acid based the water to mix with it should not be alkaline, Use Ro water or Distilled some bottled waters work as well.

I sent you a PM with the source.

iceo said:
Thanks but at the postage of £7 Is what I mean almost as much as the star san it self
I got it there and it didn't cost £7 for postage. Since it is under 1Kg they send it Royal Mail for about £3-4.
I couldn't get any Viadine locally, so went for SS as it is reusable and even with the p&p it was about same cost as Viadine delivered.
Just bought a bottle of Ashbeck to store it in a usable condition, and used it sanatize my barrel yesterday.
Certainly a LOT of bubbles.

fizz head1982 said:
I just dont trust it to be safe to consume. What is it? Americans have allot of products that they consume that are banned in Europe, and probably vice versa. I just dont want to eat something that i dont know what it is. Just my opinion.

Plus if your in Lincolnshire too, the water where I am is very hard with lime and chlorine.. Very alkaline water. Star san is an acid. So I think you would have to use more?

As this is Acid based the water to mix with it should not be alkaline, Use Ro water or Distilled some bottled waters work as well.

I sent you a PM with the source.

We had a very lengthy discussion on this a while back here (click) which covered exactly your concerns. I'm not sure it reached a unanimous conclusion, but enough to inform our own decisions a bit more. Effectiveness was perhaps left a little in dispute in regard to using Star San in some tap waters, but in terms of safety, I did some brief maths on the phosphoric acid content that you could potentially end up consuming and it was way less than in many fizzy drinks.

Personally, my Star San is always cloudy, but I keep it around pH3, use it no-rinse, and haven't noticed any problems. It's the acid that kills the germs, so I figure if it's at the right acidity, it will be working. Even if the ppm has gone a bit higher than recommended (as a no-rinse) to achieve that, I imagine the recommended levels are set for commercial levels of safety (in the very litigious USofA) and probably have to assume cautiously that it may be used where food could be immediately placed on a very wet Star-sanned surface and consumed in great quantity - not where it's residue is about to be diluted in thousands of times its own volume in beer. I can't back that up, but it's a logic that mitigates enough risk for me, against other slight-unknown risks we take every day where we have to make common-sense, guesstimated judgements.

Of course, if anyone's not content with that, then buy RO water, keep the ppm down, and enjoy uncloudy Star San!

I've boughy it form one of our sponsors, the malt miller, I believe he now sell his own brand version. If you buy with other items it makes the postage worth while.

Good info thanks. :thumb:

I am not on a crusade against star san but lets not forget that Doctors used to say smoking was good for you. Whats acceptable today is not always acceptable in the future. It's a personnel choice what you choose to consume I just dont like to think people are doing it blindly. Horse meat? :hmm: :tongue:

dennisking said:
I,ve boughy it form one of our sponsors, the malt miller, I believe he now sell his own brand version. If you buy with other items it makes the postage worth while.

iv looked at the sponsors and the malt miller are out of stock

it is, he told me he didn't know how long he'd be able to do it for...
They may have stopped him already

morethanworts said:
Maybe the Malt Miller is leaning towards this stuff instead, which looks to have the same active ingredients.

thats what i meant by out of stock.

iv ordered the saniclean now with some ph test strips and a few other bits from the home brew shop for £2.60+vat postage

just got to get some water and a spray bottle :D

fizz head1982 said:
It's a personnel choice what you choose to consume
Absolutely . . .but generally it's a good idea to actually have some facts behind you when you make blanket statements like you have done in this thread.

The fact is that starsan residue is a much less dangerous than VWP residue . . . "Oh but I always rinse" . . . Yeah until you forget.

We've had similar scaremongering on here regarding iodophors in the past :twisted:

iceo said:
morethanworts said:
Maybe the Malt Miller is leaning towards this stuff instead, which looks to have the same active ingredients.

thats what i meant by out of stock.

iv ordered the saniclean now with some ph test strips and a few other bits from the home brew shop for £2.60+vat postage

just got to get some water and a spray bottle :D

I use the saniclean. Its great! Usually use Ashbeck or Distilled water and quickly check the pH is in the ball park with some pH paper before use.
None of the crazy foamy issues you get with Starsan either :)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back