Low Alcohol & Low Calorie

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_2366.jpeg
I prefer dry cider and this is not a dry cider, honestly it tastes closer to Appetiser than a cider (but despite that it it quite enjoyable would be tempted to say they would be better off relabelling this as a sparkling apple juice and sell it in the soft drinks section’.

Seems to be the one that gets the most consistent positive reviews over the last few years (and I include myself in that group it’s honestly pretty decent).
Thanks, I have got to give one a try the last low alcohol beer I tried was Caliber (*sp) that was not a good experience.

It would be interesting to see how all these beers stack up against taking your own favourite Bitter recipe and applying this Lallemand best practice with either Windsor or London.
This is along the lines of my thinking although maybe more committed!

I’m not planning on changing the yeast - the AF beers I don’t enjoy are the ones that I believe use these kinds of yeast and taste like they are barely fermented. I will use less grain for lower OG and will mash high for a less fermentable wort - though again perhaps not in the 80’s. I’m hoping I can then produce a bitter that still tastes good and has good body but is lower alcohol.

So is Guiness the #1 forum favourite AF/low alcohol beer?
Guinness 0.0 certainly seems to have quite broad approval, even the homebrew club last night thought it was pretty good. I think in our group though the Williams Bros Lager/IPA hybrid was the unanimous winner in tasting like a nice beer with Guinness in second place of our small selection.

See @peebee your honour is restored, you’re a winner! 😉

So is Guiness the #1 forum favourite AF/low alcohol beer?

From my limited testing, I would say that Guinness is the closest to a regular pint.
The hoppy IPA's/pales I have tried have been pretty awful and are probably no improvement on Lawrie Mcmenemy's (or however his name was spelt) Kaliber. Ghost Ship was probably the best of those but I would rather have a soft drink if driving.

I do wonder with most AF beers how much they suffer heat damage from pasteurization and the complete lack of cold chain from brewery to supermarket shelf.

I agree but wouldn't other regular beers suffer the same in being delivered to the supermarket or is the effect not as pronounced?
It depends how much of a part ethanol plays in slowing the staling process. High abv beers are generally considered to age better. And whether the removal of alcohol requires a higher degree of pasturisation.

I do wonder with most AF beers how much they suffer heat damage from pasteurization and the complete lack of cold chain from brewery to supermarket shelf.
Tesco fforestfach had some of its beers in direct unfiltered sunlight. When the tesco person told their manager this could affect quality of the beer they were put onto a different section. So I never buy beers from there during the the lighter days of the year when a lot of them could be affected.

To be in direct,unfiltered sunlight they would have to be outside surely? Tesco windows as all commercial windows will be laminated glass/polyester the glue and polyester have amongst other stuff a UV filter applied. I know this as we make window laminates in work.

To be in direct,unfiltered sunlight they would have to be outside surely? Tesco windows as all commercial windows will be laminated glass/polyester the glue and polyester have amongst other stuff a UV filter applied. I know this as we make window laminates in work.

At our Tesco the bottled beer is inside the store not in the window i assumed this would be the case in all stores.

Latest posts

Back