Started 5 gallon wow today ;)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niklas

Reaction score
Never done a wow before but thought i'd go straight in and try a 5 gallon batch. 5l white grape,4l orange juice and 1l pineapple. I like my wine quite strong and dry so i used 5 kilos of sugar. Used 3 youngs super wine yeast compound plus nutrient from wilkinsons along with the other stuff. Room temps about 20 degrees. Me n the missus are newbies to this really , but have both been hooked since i bought her a starter kit with a 30 bott chardonnay kit last year. She put a demi of standard wow on herself yesterday. Can't wait to see how they turn out. Will try and put some pics up of the progress. Learned so much from this site. :cheers:

Haha ,crikey!! I've got it in one of those screw top fermenters so i'm hoping it will be ok .Filled straight up to the 5 gallon mark so a bit over a gallon of head room(i :pray: its gonna be enough?!!).The 1 gallon dj is going off nicely now.Almost continuous bubblage already !

cant go wrong with a good wow. was impressed with how well it comes especially when left awhile

Cheers for the link :thumb: they're both going pretty crazy right now. Think i've left enough space hopefully. Already smell quite nice too .

I just noticed in your OP it says "Used 3 youngs super wine yeast compound plus nutrient from wilkinsons along with the other stuff" i am fairly sure you only need to use one teaspoon of yeast if its in a 1 gallon or 5 gallon FV, i am sure someone will correct me if i have this wrong.

If you haven't already seen it have a look at this thread - viewtopic.php?f=41&t=39846

Cheers Chippy. I found the op from another thread on here somewhere. I racked it into a clear carbouy a couple of days ago n degassed,stabilzed,added finings n its looking good .A bit different in colour than the one in the dj but i think that may be the x1 pineapple juice i stuck in instead of an oj. From a sneaky taste from the syphon it taste very nice. Quite strong n very dry . I'm even thinking about adding some cool boiled water along with a splash or two of juice when i backsweeten. Would i be alright adding a bit of water to it at this stage ?

As i always use two litres of whatever i want the finished wine to taste of and one litre of either WGJ or RGJ i only use cooled boiled water to top up as it doesn't make it taste watery, some members here prefer to use juice which gives more taste and also sweetens it.

As for the time you add it i don't suppose it matters, i usually add it after the first couple of days of vigorous fermentation and fill to the base of the DJ neck, as you want to use the juice to back sweeten you are going to have to add it after you have stabilised the wine.

Latest posts

Back