stc-1000 housing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no its designed to hold one socket. socket, even if you get a double socket box there wouldn't be enough room for the stc.

I built a two socket box for mine. Brilliant, but if I did another, I think I'd have a small box just for the STC and have sockets on leads coming out of it. Avoids hole cutting. I've seen a few done like that nicely on here.

That looks a smaller version of the one I used.
2013-08-23134710.jpg

I used a couple of 5m maplin single extension leads that was on offer for £4.99 and a project box again from maplin. Cut the extension down and use the excess wire to wire things up. Didn't bother with glands but really I should do.

morethanworts said:
I built a two socket box for mine. Brilliant, but if I did another, I think I'd have a small box just for the STC and have sockets on leads coming out of it. Avoids hole cutting. I've seen a few done like that nicely on here.
I done exactly that and used this box. If you want pics let me know :thumb:

Cactus said:
Didn't bother with glands but really I should do.

I put a cable tie on the inside, and one on the outside, around each of the wires going in. Pulled tight and trimmed. They do a good job of stopping the wires pulling through the holes accidentally, as all I could get cheaply was a pair of rubber nippley things (Ooh-errr missus) which don't grip the wire like a gland.

if no gripping glands are available, tie a knot in the flex on the inside of the enclosure hole to stop a strain on the connections :)

easier is to put a large cable tie around the flex just inside the box.

I used an old external CD drive enclosure for my STC1000. used flying leads for the Heat and Cool sides along with coloured glands which were £1.60 each - White for cooling, Red for heating and black for power in - Simples. Total cost about £20.00 including the STC.

The "How to" given above on facebook is excellent and I followed it without mishap - Go for it!

DSC00061_zps5ad50e7c.jpg

I used a coping saw.

I ended up buying a storage box from b and q for £3 and stuck the sockets in the lid and the stc on the side. Works a treat.

I made life easier for me by not using sockets at all... just all wires (from the STC-1000, and the heater) going into the existing connection points on the compressor in the fridge. Yes I had to add a chocolate block ("screw terminal", I think is the proper name) for one extra connection.

The exact wiring will depend on your fridge but basically you replace the live feed that comes from the fridge thermostat and goes to the compressor, with the live feed from the STC-1000 "cool" terminal. Then just provide the supply to the STC-1000 by connecting up the live and neutral (and earth) from the existing fridge connection points where the mains cable comes in.

That's the cooling side done.

You're left with the heater. Neutral goes to the existing neutral connection point where all the other neutrals go (you can usually make room by removing any connection that goes to light or thermostat), earth similarly, now and you just need to add the aforementioned screw terminal to connect the live heater wire to the live wire from the STC-1000 "heat" terminal.

Latest posts

Back