sterilising glass beer bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Liking the idea of the bath or oven. Do you leave them to cool in the oven? How often have you done them in the oven?

jolemi said:
Liking the idea of the bath or oven. Do you leave them to cool in the oven? How often have you done them in the oven?

No I took 'em out to cool then got a second lot on to sterilise while I filled the first lot. Probably did this for 4 or 5 brews until I got hold of some Starsan (no rinse steriliser). This worked in a fan oven where there's no hot spots, I don't think it would work with gas where the heat's all at the back.

I but em in the dish washer on the highest setting 75c like someone has just said earlier fill the compartment with sterilising solution takes around 1.45 then has a hot dry cycle. bottle straight from the washer while the bottles are still hot. Works for me

I bought a black dustbin from B&Q, filled with water and Milton (baby bottle steriliser). When I've finished a bottle it gets rinsed and put straight into the bin. Done this for the last 5 brews, never had a bad drink yet.

If its good for babies then surely it's good for beer.

Nice one. I've got a electric fan oven so that may be a safer option :)

Does anyone use this kind of bottle rinser with videne?

bottle_rinser.jpg

Jeltz said:
Does anyone use this kind of bottle rinser with videne?

bottle_rinser.jpg
I have one of these and use videne but main thing is to make sure the bottles are clean first!

two squirts and on to the tree to drain :thumb:

Like the looks of that ... just had videne delivered this looks like the ideal bit of kit to use with it :thumb:

I wash mine out whack them in a fan oven on a clean roasting tray 12 at a time wind the temp up to 110 c. When temp is achieved set timer for 5 mins. Works for me.

I wash mine after I've drank the beers. When I have ~20 or so I put them in the oven. When it comes to bottling day I sterilise each bottle using one of those upside down bottle spray things and dry on a rack. Gonna go back to filling a bucket with steriliser and submerging them as it's much quicker.

I wash mine after I've drank the beers.

Likewise. Then good rinse out, about 15mm water in bottom, dash of bleach, foil cap and store.
Refill time. Cap off, give 'em a shake, rinse out, fill 'em.

It's worked since 1983 for me. No baddies, so why change.....

I just rinse mine with water straight after pooring. then once every few weeks if it suits me I rinse them all again with a vinator filled with star san and put in a quick dry rack. They are then stored in boxes and get a quick squirt with the vinator before bottling, which symbol and me do together, like a well oiled assembly line.

You have to admire the way the Star San folk have home brewers world wide hoodwinked on their product. :rolleyes:

I'm not saying it's no good - I've never used it so I wouldn't know. What I do know is compared to my preferred method it is damn expensive and I have to go to a specialty shop to purchase, as opposed to calling at my local supermarket.

I marvel at the videos I've watched on the topic, the way folk throw it around willy-nilly, sterilizing things I'd never dream of.....:eek:

I don't think they have hoodwinked anyone they have a brilliant product that does the job with ease it is expensive to buy but as members have posted it lasts a very long time so long term its not as expensive as it first appears.
As for over using it I guess it's so easy to use why not.

I've never used Starsan as I would never use a no-rinse cleaner/sanitiser. No good reason for that, it just feels wrong.
I pour my beer and drink it, next morning I wash the bottles up and put a squirt of Sodium Metabisulphite solution in (already made up 2 teaspoons to a litre of water in a PET) and then seal the bottle with the old crown cap.
When I'm ready for bottling, I uncap them, throw the caps away, rinse the bottles and away we go.
I've used bottles I had but away months or even years earlier. If there's a whiff of sulphur dioxide, they're good. I've never had a bottle go off in the thousands of bottles I've made over the years.

I rinse my bottles after pouring. On bottling day in the dishwasher on any old programme th3n star san on a tree. No issues in 24 brews.

I really cut the cleaning time when I went for a sink full of water with washing up water and bleach, swill, drain and bake in the oven. Because of changes in thin bleach I couldn't trust it to make an acidified no-rinse solution any more - not for bottles.

But Star San works as well as the baking step and I'm not fannying about with the oven and pulling out hot bottles.

Latest posts

Back