Still no carbonation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Silly question but did your capper come with 2 heads, i got a bench capper supplied with 2 heads, the second one uses slightly bigger caps which fit Champagne bottles but are too big for Beer. Just a thought.

No, it just came with the one head. It's a very snug fit on the caps once pressed on, takes a bit of wiggling to get the bottles back out sometimes.

Thanks for the explanation of the collar, I'm guessing the wing capper grips the bottom of it so that it can pull against it to push on the cap.

The bench capper I have pushes against the base of the machine. The mechanical advantage from the lever is about 4:1 or 5:1 (without going and measuring) it's all metal so pretty robust

I'm guessing here, but it's probably the Venturi effect as the beer goes through the narrow nozzle on the syringe at high speed. The pressure will drop, which will immediately draw a lot of CO2 out of solution. As there are no nucleation sites, it'll happen throughout the beer, and thus the bubbles will be tiny (like Guinness), and then form a decent head
I have a 102 pot hydroponic system and use a Venturi to carry nutrient to the plants, how it works is the water gets pumped along a pipe and the Venturi narrows. This is where I have two inlets (the nutrient is in two parts) as the water flows through the Venturi it sucks up the nutrient. I believe through vacuum created.
What the syringe is doing is blasting air, which is mainly nitrogen through the syringe giving the effect of a nitrogen pour. Not a solution to the OP's problem but it will make the beer more drinkable.
A bit of trivia Guinness did used to supply a 'Surger' which was like a syringe with their beers to get nitrogen into a bottled beer. This was prior to the widget of course.
1658207702353.png

I believe through vacuum created.
It'll be a low pressure section of the fluid, rather than a vacuum, but the end result is the same - suction.
Try pouring the bottle into a glass, use a syringe to remove about 10ml then forcibly reinject it into the glass

What the syringe is doing is blasting air, which is mainly nitrogen through the syringe giving the effect of a nitrogen pour
As described, you draw up the beer, then reinject it, so there is no air/nitrogen to be blasted in.
A bit of trivia Guinness did used to supply a 'Surger' which was like a syringe with their beers to get nitrogen into a bottled beer. This was prior to the widget of course.
That's cool - I didn't know that. It looks exactly like a small syringe, so will follow the same principals as the syringe method.

Back