Stir plate

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nannaandmike

Reaction score
I am so grateful for the replies to my question regarding Re-hydration of yeast, thank you all however I have a second question how many use a stir plate when preparing the yeast I’ve never used one any advice on yeast preparation would be most useful thanks in anticipation. Mike

Hi, I use a stir plate with a 2 litre conical flask.

I don't chill my wort and let it cool naturally, but used to draw off a litre of wort and chill this in two smaller flasks and the use these for a 24 hour starter - about the time it took my wort to come down to pitching temp. I would give the flasks a shake every time I passed them.

The bigger flask and stirrer gives me at least double the amount of year in 24 hours - maybe as much as 4 time as much.

Essentially all I do it sterilise the flask, the as soon a my boil is over I draw off about 1.6litre of wort and cool it quickly in a sink (with the stir bar already in for the hot wort further sterilises it). When it gets to 20c ish I throw in the dry yeast and set the stirrer to about 600rpm and leave it for 24 hours. I then turn it off and allow the yeast to settle for an hour or so, pour the wort off from the top, and then pour the settled yeast cake into the fermentation vessel with my wort. Kicks things off nice and fast!

Any specific questions about the process?

For simple rehydration of dried yeast you do not need a stir plate. Just half an hour in a couple of hundred mL of warmish (25-30 dgree) water will do perfectly. Stir it into a cream with anything sanitised (I use a glass rod) and add to your wort when the wort has cooled to pitching temperature.

Latest posts

Back