Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dicko

Reaction score
Hi all
I'm thinking of making a stout that I could lay down till Christmas. Any ideas?

Coopers?

Or maybe one of these from Wilco ...

http://www.wilko.com/cider+beer-bre...stout-brewing-kit-makes-40-pints/invt/0318379

Rather than use an ordinary sugar you could tart either of them up a bit with Golden Syrup and a few spoonful of Black Treacle to give it that extra taste.

Did this one earlier this year:

COOPERS STOUT WITH AG
Started 19th March 2017
Fermented in Trug.
Coopers Stout Kit.
1.60Kg of Maris Otter
0.20Kg of Chocolate
15g of Perle Hop Leaf boiled for 60 mins.
Wilco Ale Yeast + Coopers Yeast pitched at 20 degrees.
Overflowed the FV 20th March!
Bottled with 75g of sugar on 2nd April 2017
Carbonating on shelf near storage heater.
OG 1.047
FG 1.011
ABV 4.73%
Kcal per litre = 453Kcal
Tasted 18th June 2017 and very nice - for a Stout. Better in winter?

Enjoy. I'm not really a Stout drinker but, along with a genuine Mild, it's one of the best drinks to enjoy next to the fire on those cold winter nights! :thumb:

Hi all
I'm thinking of making a stout that I could lay down till Christmas. Any ideas?

Hi all
Thanks for the suggestions but I should have mentioned I'm a beginner, (only made 2 kits and haven't tried either of them yet:whistle:) so adding hops and things will be a little adventurous at the moment. I was looking at a kit either one or two can.

In that case, I suggest that you go for the Wilco One-Can Kit.

It's then up to you whether you want to be a bit adventurous with the added sugar.

Golden Syrup, DME, Black Treacle etc. It's a long list but it does allow you to make something that is a bit different and designed to suit your own tastes.

Either way, the secret of happy brewing is to enjoy the process of making it as well as the drinking it! :thumb:

Plenty of options for Coopers stout kits here
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17818
and here
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17817
My recipe is
- Kit can
- 500g Dark DME
- 500g Golden syrup
- 100g Dark Muscavado sugar
- 4 shots strong coffee (not instant)
Brew short to 19 litres.
I always use the kit yeast. The Original yeast is more active than the Irish but they both ferment out well.
Although it can be drunk young they does keep.

Hi Terry
This recipe looks about as adventurous as I dare go. Interesting you use golden syrup, seen some that have used black treacle. What's the difference in taste?

Hi Terry
This recipe looks about as adventurous as I dare go. Interesting you use golden syrup, seen some that have used black treacle. What's the difference in taste?

Spread it on a slice of buttered toast and then compare it to a slice of toast spread with golden syrup.

A little bit goes a long way and it's a bit like Marmite whether or not you like the taste! :thumb:

I really enjoyed the youngs mocha porter, and all the other youngs two can kits.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

A demi John can be a good way to tweak or dry hop a small part of your brew if you want to dabble in experimenting.

In that case, I suggest that you go for the Wilco One-Can Kit.

It's then up to you whether you want to be a bit adventurous with the added sugar.

Golden Syrup, DME, Black Treacle etc. It's a long list but it does allow you to make something that is a bit different and designed to suit your own tastes.

Either way, the secret of happy brewing is to enjoy the process of making it as well as the drinking it! :thumb:

Thanks Dutto
I was in wilkos today but I never noticed a stout kit, I'll call in again at weekend. Hopefully I'll have made my mind up which recipe I'm gonna go with by then!:wha:

Hi Terry
Black treacle has a very distinctive overwhelming taste if used in quantity. Think bonfire toffee but more so. That said you might like it, or not. Dark muscavado sugar has some of the taste of black treacle and that's why I add it to my stouts in the quantity I use and the effect is subtle, just like the coffee addition. Its also easier to handle than a viscous liquid. What you don't want to do in my opinion is to dump loads of black treacle into your brew and then find you don't like it. So if you do use it, do so sparingly at your first attempt and then if you do like it you could try using more next time.
For me golden syrup is just another form of brewing sugar, and it's cheap, and readily available. You won't really notice it in a stout, but you might in a light pale ale, and then the subtle taste works for me.
Finally be aware that the Wilko kits are only 1.5kg not 1.7kg like the Coopers kits, so if you use the Wilko kit you might want to brew short, whatever recipe you follow.

Black treacle has a very distinctive overwhelming taste if used in quantity. Think bonfire toffee but more so. That said you might like it, or not. Dark muscavado sugar has some of the taste of black treacle and that's why I add it to my stouts in the quantity I use and the effect is subtle, just like the coffee addition. Its also easier to handle than a viscous liquid. What you don't want to do in my opinion is to dump loads of black treacle into your brew and then find you don't like it. So if you do use it, do so sparingly at your first attempt and then if you do like it you could try using more next time.
For me golden syrup is just another form of brewing sugar, and it's cheap, and readily available. You won't really notice it in a stout, but you might in a light pale ale, and then the subtle taste works for me.
Finally be aware that the Wilko kits are only 1.5kg not 1.7kg like the Coopers kits, so if you use the Wilko kit you might want to brew short, whatever recipe you follow.

Thanks for the info and I think this is the recipe I'd like to try. Regarding the coffee you say 4 shots, can you explain this a bit more, (sorry but I'm new to this)?

Thanks

Thanks for the info and I think this is the recipe I'd like to try. Regarding the coffee you say 4 shots, can you explain this a bit more, (sorry but I'm new to this)?

Thanks
I think he means 4 glasses of expresso from a caffetire or one of those Italian things that you bung on the gas ring...really strong stuff.....NOT INSTANT:lol:

I think he means 4 glasses of expresso from a caffetire or one of those Italian things that you bung on the gas ring...really strong stuff.....NOT INSTANT:lol:

Thanks irishwisard, it was the quantities, ( I was wondering about) not wanting to over do it.

Thanks

We have a coffee machine. So I make up four small cups of coffee using strong Italian roast coffee with the machine measure, and then chuck that into the wort. If you don't have a machine you could just make up a cafetiere/french press of coffee using four measures of ground coffee, and use that.

We have a coffee machine. So I make up four small cups of coffee using strong Italian roast coffee with the machine measure, and then chuck that into the wort. If you don't have a machine you could just make up a cafetiere/french press of coffee using four measures of ground coffee, and use that.

Thanks
I have a percolator so no problem there. Following this recipe what sg would I be looking for?

Thanks

Thanks
I have a percolator so no problem there. Following this recipe what sg would I be looking for?

Thanks
just my two pennys worth,dont bother with the wilko velvet stout its a poor kit and as terry said a smaller can than the much superior coopers stouts,for the extra two quid its a no brainer:thumb:

As a few people have already chimed in with recipes I won't bother with mine which I brew once a month.

But what I will say is definitely add something to the kit such as the coffee terrym is mentioning.
Maybe it's just me but I found the Coopers kit by itself a bit underwhelming.

I also find the Coopers Stout is quite drinkable after a month or so. Others on here will tell you
it needs a few months at least. I don't agree really, but each to his own.

I really enjoyed the youngs mocha porter, and all the other youngs two can kits.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

A demi John can be a good way to tweak or dry hop a small part of your brew if you want to dabble in experimenting.

Thanks. I've never tried a porter but I've heard they can be a bit on the sweet side?

Back