strange peco happenings

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lagerlad

Reaction score
last brew i done with my peco boiler it cut out at 55mins so i fermented and resigned myself to the fact new boiler needed anyway cleaned it etc next day thought i would try it see if it was working,all good.....put a brew on today all going well guess what 55 mins into boil its just cut out again dunno what to do this time or the reason as there is no timer or nothing plugged direct into mains socket still working.....need another 15 mins of boil as still got hops and candi sugar to add....anyone any ideas cheers lagerlad

Is it the thermostat controlled boiler?

I've the normal boiler and never have issues. Try it with a pot of boiling water and see if it occurs again?

no mate its the standard one sitting here with it just now with a brew in it 55 minutes done cant believe it dont wanna bin it,too tight any ideas

My first two brews my peco tripped the fuse box at about 55mins, was fine after flicking the fuse box. Has been fine since.

Hope yours is OK too.

I tripped my fuse when water condensed into the power outlet. Give it a good dry with a hairdryer and see if that works and keep an eye on the power outlet.

definitely not the fuse box mate my house kettle working in same socket i also put fuse from my kettle in peco still nothing

power outlet looks fine mark bone dry i think its overheated can i bring this back to the boil again if it cools enough to get things going

Most of the bittering hops are infused at the start of the boil and get less and less as the boil continues. Put your numbers in for a 55 minute boil and you'll see. Aroma hops are late additions, that's the only affect I think you'll suffer from. I don't think you'll end up with a bad brew because of this.

yes mark the only hops added were at start of boil still to add 2 lots of hops and candi when i reboil so you reckon it should be ok,cheers for the advice

One problem I've had like this before is I had a long IEC lead and the slack was coiled up. This generated a lot of head and switched the kettle off (it was a different kettle to the Peco).

Also the element is 2.4 kw which is more demanding than the average household appliance. Do you have anything else plugged into the same power ring? When I was using the Peco boiler I'd have a powerful light plugged in in the same room, when the boiler was turned on the light would dim. Something else taking a lot of power could cause the boiler to cut out.

Can you plug the element straight into the wall with an IEC lead and bypass any thermostat?

Sorry if these are very obvious to you, but just crossing them off the list.

Others will know better but hop oils and flavours are released about 80° so as long as your wort is above this temp you will still get the affects you want. I don't think you'll get the beer you planned but I don't think it will be a bad beer.

sorry mate what does wont affect my numbers mean

When boiling your wort you decrease the volume of water which in turn affects the gravity, the longer or shorter the boil time the more effect on the gravity.

wort cooled a bit boiler kicked back in got up to about 94 degrees then cut off again salvaged what i could into 2 pots on stove now new boiler needed defo cheers lagerlad

Must be a common fault mine did exactly the same last weekend 45mins into a boil managed to save the brew.
Looking into a new element as can't afford a new boiler at the moment .

well thanks to all who done their best to advise me during my brewday from hell started at 10 this morning and thats me just sat down at 7 o clock and guess what with ...yes a beer,will i ever learn,i have no idea how this will turn out with all the temperature changes and moving vessels etc but i just put 20 and a bit litres in the fermenter its belgian blonde and meant to be 1.070 but mines is 1.080 so cant be all bad,
everytime i drink this one and i am sitting totally blootered i will think of this day haha.......roll on the next one hopefully be in a new boiler!!!!!!!cheers everyone lagerlad

Latest posts

Back