Strange phenomenom

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcarm

Regular.
Reaction score
I've got 2 brews in the fridge currently sitting at 3 degrees (the fridge won't get them lower). They have been there since last Saturday.

I took samples of each one earlier to see how clear they are and how the dryhopping is going, and noticed that brew 2 has gone a lot darker than before, as well as not smelling as hoppy, but rather a treacley smell. It's really hard to describe what I mean but it smells 'thick' :lol: the sample jar does not taste like it did the other day either.

I've had this before with a faux lager I made a while back, but in that one I used gelatine so thought it was down to that. My current brews have had no finings added at all.

Brew 1 is fine, both of them have been chilled for the same amount of time.

It doesn't taste off, it's not a bad taste but not how it was.

Just wondered if anyone knows what could have caused this. I am bottling it tomorrow night and brew 1 on Saturday.

Brew 1 is a craft kit from Geterbrewed, and brew 2 is a Wherry that I brewed to 20l and dryhopped with 50g Amarillo and 25g Citra pellets. Both were started about 26th April, fermented for 2 weeks, dryhopped for 1 week and 5 days (so far) cold.

Back